Am I deficient or what?

I can tell the difference because the yolks are so much richer. But to me it's not so much of tasting different as knowing what's in those shells. I know certain feed contains poison, well poison to us. Chickens that are grown out for KYC and all the other chickens eateries, are fed arsnic to speed growth. Don't know about the rest of you but I don't care for that one bit. So I feel better knowing what going in what I eat. Egg are just one the things I eat, so I feel better about it.
smile.png

Quote:
Green feed. Particularly fresh green feed makes the biggest difference in my experience. Fresh, young tender grass. Greens such as collards, kale, turnip greens, mustards, and so on. Many, many types of weeds such as chickweed, purslane, lambsquarters, and so on. These can all make a big difference in the color and flavor of an egg.

But all of that said though it sometimes does come down to ones individual ability to perceive differences. I've been to wine tastings where folks go on at length about the differences in flavor between different wines that I cannot perceive myself. {shrug} It may be that it's just not a flavor you do not really personally experience.

First off I'd like to say I'm rather surprised at how many of you don't actually eat eggs...

I eat a fried or scrambled egg everyday for breakfast and the different between mine and store bought was immediate. Different texture, which I love and the color of the yolks alone was enough to win me over.

I had a friend who fed his chickens cookies that he had gotten and the eggs had a sweet taste to them. When we got our first egg (we are on number 14 now) our granddaughter age 7 ate it and said this is the best egg ever! So I know you can tell a difference from store to fresh eggs. Deb

I can taste the difference as can everyone in the family except oldest daughter to here it is just another egg. Good to know they are healthier as well....

OP here......Well it sounds like I'm certainly not alone on not being able to taste a difference! I feel better...

I do notice the texture change and the color, but the actual flavor is just an egg.

I do 'get' all the other benefits, as mentioned in my OP, but darn it all, I thought for sure I would taste a difference. I was raised (a billion years ago!) on our own farm eggs and never gave them a second thought. Never thought about the taste of an egg when I grew up and bought eggs at the store. I just kept reading how much better a well cared for, well fed chickens egg would taste and decided to convince hubs to go along with my scheme with that as my clincher.

Am bummed. But press on knowing I'm not alone!

~L.

Back
Top Bottom