Am I doing enough?

yinzerchick

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
E.Texas
First of all, Merry Christmas to all! I hope everyone is having a safe, happy, holiday.

Now, for my question...

December 23 we had a hawk scare.
ep.gif
I thought I had lost one of my girls to it. I was outside filling waterers, and saw the hawk swoop down, all the chickens took cover, and the Rooster sounded the alarm. I didn't see anything being carried off. My chickens are almost 9 months old and all heavy breeds, so they're pretty big.

Anyway, I went in the run and called them in to take a count and was missing one of my RSL. After walking around a bit, I came across some feathers out where some of them had been, and thought for sure she was gone. I was broken hearted.

After cleaning up the run and coop, I strung even more fishing line up over the top of the run, but of course I let them free range, so it's only going to save them if they're in the run. I don't know why, but I walked back across the pasture to where the feathers were and was standing there very sad, and said, "Oh Jane, I'm so sorry..." When to my relief and surprise she came tenatively out from under a bush, clucking softly! I scooped her up, no bleeding, no cuts, or scrapes, just missing some feathers, and not even enough to make a bald spot!

I took her in the house, and fed her some treats and gave her some water to make sure she wasn't in shock. She ate hungrily, and drank some water. I was sooo happy.
Then I took her outside and put her down, and saw she had a pretty good limp going on. I decided to put her in the convelesant box and keep her in the house. Anyway, she's doing good, eating, drinking and seems to want to go outside, but she's still limping. I've felt the leg, and checked her foot out good, and can't see or feel anything.
I'm just keeping her inside and quiet for now to rest her leg, but don't know how long I should keep her in. I let her out each morning so far, just for about 15 minutes or so to see the other chickens and I can check her progress. Is there anything else anyone can think of that I could, or should be doing to help her heal?
Thanks!

Sounds like you are doing fine with her.
I am where it is very cold so I would keep her warm & dry a couple of more days.
Feed her well, which is what you are doing, but if she wants to be out with her own you could let her go if you cdont have a real cold spell.

She may limp for some time or depending on the internal injury she may always be a bit gimpy.

Glad she is going to be OK.....

You have done all you can do. The rest is up to her. She avoided a probably fatal attack. She is going to be sore, tired and stressed for several days after such a thing. I would keep an eye on her to make sure she is bouncing back alright, but there is not much more you can do. Honestly, this is probably a good thing for her in the long run. She has gotten a very firm lesson embedded in her psyche- HAWKS ARE BAD. She will be on guard from them in the future. That's not a bad lesson to learn, and she learned it relatively cheaply (One of my hens learned the same lesson but only after losing about 64 sq. in. of skin in the process. No exaggeration.) Give her time and as much pampering as you can. Learning the ways of the world can be tough on a body.

Glad she made it. Good luck.

Thanks everyone...I know how lucky I was to have her escape as in tact as she did! I'm just going to keep her in the convelesant box for another day or so. It's cool and rainy here, yucky weather. I also have fairly high roosts, (3 1/2 feet) and I don't want her to hurt herself more jumping down.
We'll see what tomorrow brings...
Again, thanks for the comments.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom