Am i doing it right for my broody girl?

Zantechick

Chirping
Apr 17, 2019
Zakythos greece
20200407_133007.jpg

I've had to cage her in so the other hens climbing on her pushing her off the nest i was worried for her and for them breaking the eggs she got space to stretch her legs and her own food and water. Also covered the top so the other hens cant get in but i can get in to clean etc. Is this ok ? She has room but fully caged in xxxx

View attachment 2078568

I've had to cage her in so the other hens climbing on her pushing her off the nest i was worried for her and for them breaking the eggs she got space to stretch her legs and her own food and water. Also covered the top so the other hens cant get in but i can get in to clean etc. Is this ok ? She has room but fully caged in xxxx
I would have to say she is probably thanking you for isolating her! Broodies don't need much space because they really don't ever leave the nest. She has her clutch, food and water and the others can't bother her. She may need a larger area after hatching if you wanted to keep her and the babies separate for a few days, but other than that, it looks fine!:thumbsup

Thank you , yes i was thinking more room if/when they hatch. They should hatch around the 23rd so at least we have a few weeks to come up with a plan xx

Often times my free range broody prone hens will lay eggs away from the coop so they can set on the eggs without the drama of the coop. I agree that she is probably thankful for the isolation and I would not worry about the space until after the hatch as long as the chicks can get to the water. It is possible that you will not be able to tell when the eggs start to hatch and you could have several little ones before you know it.
There is nothing better than watching a new mama hen with her babies. Also, it has been my experience with Bio-Bators that mama may want to keep her brood away from the rest of the flock for a few days to weeks depending on her place in the pecking order. I usually would set up a small pen outside of the coop for mine. Initially I worried about the cold, but as long as they had shelter from the elements, I never lost any. After a few days I would leave the pen open during the day and only close it up at night. Eventually, Mama would introduce the chicks to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom