Am I doing something wrong??

Emeraldchickens

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
I bought 20 chicks in the mail from ideal poultry and they arrived last Thursday in the mail. I live not to far from the hatchery so they shipped Wed then I picked them up early in the morning. I had one die a day later then another one die 2 days later and just found another one dead this morning. I am doing everything I can for these chicks. I have them under the heat lamp, food, water electrolytes in the water. Some did suffer from pasty butt and I was cleaning very carefully and I mean carefully. Cause I knew if I didn't they all might die. They seem to not have it anymore. But I'm not sure what else I can do. It breaks my heart, cause I love them already and I feel like I am trying everything. Is there anything else I can do?

Are they able to get away from the heat source to cool down?
Sometimes there is nothing we did to cause the deaths.
Yes they can.

I seem to have bad luck I guess. Cause we bought chickens from a breeder originally 4 hens and a rooster and I incubated eggs and only one survived from the first round. Then 7 survived from second then 5. I do have one outside with broody momma she insisted on laying on eggs so let her hatch them. She kept one then other one I brought in needed help more. That's one is thriving.

My daughter has 11 from a local breeder friend and all hers are doing excellent no deaths yet. Fingers crossed. It's just mine that die ughh.

Did you teach them to eat and drink? I'm sorry you are having troubles with your littles. We are expecting some to ship May 12 from Ideal.
They actually all did very well eating and drinking when they got home except maybe the first one that died. But even then that one did drink and ear at first. So far haven't lost anymore. I lost 3 total out of 20 the rest are growing well, eating and drinking and getting big.

Gluck with your babies! I hope they do well or are doing well if you have them already. I really do wish great things on you with your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom