Am I doomed for cockerels?

MyFrancesca

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
Akron, Ohio
We're hatching our own eggs from a coworker which are cross-breeds...rooster one breed and 4 types of hens. We just want some backyard chickens for eggs so we don't care what they are. However, while going thru online readings, I found someone's post that said if the rooster is a Americauna (which he is) and the hen was a Barred Rock (which one was) then you will have only cockerels. I have tried to find more information on this...but can't! I have been trying to find answers to sex-links but it seems everything I find about sex-links is only specific breeds that don't pertain to what I have. I am hoping someone can help me decipher if I am doomed for all cockerels or if we have a chance for pullets!
The rooster was a full Americauna, the hens were Americauna, Easter Egger, Australorp, and Barred Rock. We have an incubator that holds 7 eggs so we were hoping at least 3-4 hatch and at least 1 was a pullet but hopefully more! We really, really wanted one that looked similar to the Barred Rock.

Any help is greatfully appreciated!

That sounds perposterous!
lol.png
Breeding those together won't produce straight cockerals, I've personally seen the product of a Black Ameraucana/Barred Rock cross and half the offspring were girls
smile.png

Oh you are my hero! I was so sad to find out we may only have cockerels. I did not want to explain to my 6 year old why we had to cull all of our first round of chickens!

Thanks so much! We look forward to 20 more days of waiting! :)

Yeah...we're city chicken raisers. :( We found a home for some and I doubt we'll end up culling them ourselves but our family has a farm and we can take the cockerels on a nice country drive to have them culled and plucked and packaged for nearly free. So, that's our plan.

Even if the boys go away to freezer camp, they're still serving your family by providing nutritious, home grown meat :) and I'm sure they lived very happy lives up until that point! Super extra good luck to you, hope you hatch out all girls! (now wouldn't that be a miracle!)

The eggs were collected over 3 days from the cold Ohio weather. Then toted to my work and stored in the warmer air then to my basement for a few hours until we could get them in the incubator. The lady I bought them from said she didn't anticipate a high hatching rate because of the weather. So if only a couple hatch, we'll be happy. This is just our trial run so anything we get is a bonus! If we got all pullets, that's fantastic. If not, I guess we'll hope for more at the end of next month during round 2 for the school project.

Back
Top Bottom