Am i feeding my chickens to much?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Keisha Greer, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Keisha Greer

Keisha Greer New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    I feed my chickens all the time. I don't know how many lbs. but there food and water is full 24/7.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yep! Just keep food/water available 24/7.
    If they seem to be eating an enormous amount, you may want to look into the possibility of other animals eating the feed.
    Dogs LOVE chicken feed.
    Mice and rodents will eat it, too.
    Free range chickens will eat less.
    I free range all my chickens and usually put their food away after they eat in the morning.
    I put the food back in the evening before they go to roost.
    I only do that because we have a LOT of greenery for them to eat on 15 acres and LOTS of bugs.
    [​IMG]

3. cmommyrun

cmommyrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    CA
    what a good question! My chickens always act like they are starving and come running to us when we go outside! They are free range and definitely aren't starving! My son was feeding them 3 times a day and I thought that was to much. So we cut down to once in morning and once in night. They have bugs and grass they can peck at in the meantime. They still think theyr'e starving though! We cut down because 2 of our hens were looking very heavy and now look better :)

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Keeping food and water available all the time is good, the chickens don't usually eat more than they need, I find. Although if we leave the food out all the time, sometimes birds will eat it too, which gets rather annoying after a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by