Am I feeling an Egg?(Can I get any other responses PLEASE :>)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mstrrlm, Sep 26, 2011.

1. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    I have 1 Wyandotte DOB Mid April 2011, 1 Delaware, 3 White Leghorns, 2 BR, 4 RIR Hens all born End of May 2011. My birds and Guinea's have been making excessive noise ALL day and almost sounded like the egg song just a little while ago. So I went to check and didnt find an egg. Now none have laid yet, or done the squatting thing, so I grabbed a LH and felt between her legs and vent, it felt hard and round like an egg. So I grabbed another LH and did the same, it was just squishy, checked some RIR, and BR nothing, finally captured GLW and felt same area she was also round and hard. Am I feeling an egg? The GLW is the oldest but 2nd lowest in pecking order, don't know if that matters with the squatting thing or not. Anyway sorry for the newbie question but I am a newbie.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Could very well be an egg.

3. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    would like to hear more advice as well please

4. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    yep sounds like an egg.

5. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    You're probably feeling her first egg. She'll probably lay it for you either in a few hours or tomorrow morning.

So by my calculations they'd be about 20 weeks old now, that's egg laying age. Don't worry! I'f she starts looking sickly and fluffed up, then worry!
    One of my hens squatted before she first laid, the other didn't till she was a year old.

She's probably making so much noise because she needs to lay but doesn't know whats happening because it's her first egg.
    Her being noisey is making the other get excited and loud etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by