Am I following this correctly?

Quirkyfusion

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
I have...probably 100 lol...questions!! I have a flock of (baby) Rhode Island Blues (RI red crossed w/Black Australorp), Cuckoo Marans, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpington, and a mix named Starlight Green Eggers (Prairie Bluebell crossed w/unspecified brown layer).
If my understanding is correct...
RI blues would carry two brown genes thus brown eggs.
SG eggers would carry one blue and one brown color gene? So they’re eggs could be either blue, brown, or any shade in between? Feed guy said green eggs but is that a *given*
Now this is where I get confused....
I just acquired two (very beautiful) young, cream legbar roosters. So now we have a blue gene carrying Dad..blue jeans...maybe that will be ones name...haha..sorry 😊
Anyhooo....
*Dad (Blue Jeans) + SL egger = (one blue gene and one either brown or blue?) So more blue? Green? Olive? Any of the above? Based on the egg color, and I hatched it, could I possibly make an educated guess as to the color of eggs the offspring would lay? If I hatched a blue egg then that chick got two blue genes, correct?
**Blue Jeans + my other brown egg layers = my “own” Starlight Green eggers? And so continues the above....
Last question I swear! Are Starlight green eggers just another name for Easter Eggers??

Yes, you've got it!!

I suppose some folks might argue that Easter Eggers are a cross between an Auracauna and a dual purpose breed, and yours will have Leghorn in them from the Bluebells and that besides egg color there's no similarity between Isbars and Auracauna, but to most of us EE = green to blue egg laying mutt, so it would absolutely not be marketing fraud to call them all EEs. The name Starlight Green Eggers may be trademarked though.

There's two different sets of genes for egg color.
First shell color. You have two choices either blue or non blue (white). Blue is dominate over white so if a bird has two genes for blue it will lay blue eggs. If it has one blue gene and one white gene it will still lay blue eggs. And of course two white equals white eggs.
The second part are the brown genes. It is said there are 13 or more genes responsible for the brown. They cause a wash over the shell color so when on white you get brown eggs and when on blue you get green eggs. The number of the brown genes a chicken has can vary so thats why brown or green eggs can be so many different shades.

Your RI blues carry two white shell genes and various brown egg genes.
Not familiar with SGs but sounds like they carry one blue gene and one white gene plus various brown eggs. They should be a first generation cross and all lay green eggs. The shade of green can vary. But you mentioned PB as one parent and sounds like those may be a hybrid so that would make me uncertain for sure what egg genes are involved.
Not gonna try to keep up with the last part but a legbar has two blue genes so they will always pass on a blue gene.
If a chicken has one blue and one white its a 50/50 which they'll pass on.
If a chicken has brown genes they will pass some on and other they won't but since there's so many genes involved with brown its unlikely to not pass on at least some of them.
If you want to work with blue only its not wise to involve a brown or green egg layer because it is extremely hard to breed out every gene for brown once you get them in the mix.
Hope that was easy enough to follow. But if not ask about anything still confused about.

Thank you moonshiner and riverotter! I’m not real picky about egg color...I was at first but now I’m so attached to all of these chicks that I’ve decided I’ll just put out there whatever I end up with and maybe I’ll name them Seabrights if they lay bright blue/green and Forest eggers if they’re olive....start my own mutt lines 😅

Back
Top Bottom