Am I going crazy????? I don't think I am.......

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Willow's Meadow, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    So I have 11 chickens right now. I have 5 Brahma hens, 5 Buff Orpington hens and 1 Brahma rooster. I want to get 5 Cornish X's, 5 Barred Rocks and 5 Easter Eggers this spring......so thats 15 chicks total. My family seems to think thats to many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] But the Cornish Crosses will be butchered and then I might sell 3 or 4 layers. So I wouldn't really end up with THAT many chickens. [​IMG] And my family is like well you know we don't really live in the country.....and I'm like soooooo????? We have 3 acres and a BIGGG barn, our neigbors have 10 acres and behind us is 40 acres of woods that some guy just owns to ride his 4 wheelers on. So I know its not REALLLLLYYY the "country" but its not like its a downtown neighborhood or anything!!!!! So do you think I'm crazy by getting 15 more chickens this summer?????

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I guess it depends who's paying the feed bill.....if they're paying I guess it's their "too many" that counts.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    No, I don't think you're crazy. BUT I don't have to live with you and all those chickens either [​IMG] What I mean is, if you have to live with folks, you have to get along with them, and if that means less chickens...well just be thankful they don't mind the ones you have [​IMG] If you just plan on selling 3 or 4 layers anyway...why not just cut them from the order to show them you are being considerate of how they feel about it. Then if they don't like it, well ya tried [​IMG]

4. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    If you have the room to house them then no not at all!!! [​IMG] Go for it, After all is said and done you would only have 17 or 18 chicken which is not bad [​IMG]

5. PreciousChicks

PreciousChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    I say go for it!! [​IMG] you only live once...why not live with more chicks?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by