Am I hearing "chirps" or am I crazy?*Two for two*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nanawendy, May 13, 2010.

1. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Olivia is right on target and 1 of her eggs has a little hole... is that called a pip? I also think I heard chirping. Am I crazy or does this happen. This is our first broody, today is the 21st day and she has 2 eggs from a neighbor. How long does it take to hatch? (I gave my chicken book to my DDIL) [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you can here pepping up to 24 hours before hatching, congratulations

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, yes. That's one of the most fun things about hatching in an incubator--those first few chirps coming from the incubator, before there are even any pips in the eggs. And yes, the little hole is called a pip. [​IMG]

Haven't hatched chickens (only ducks), but my understanding is for chicks it's about 24 hours from pip to hatch, but it may have already been pipped for some time. Ducks take about 48 hours.

Enjoy!

4. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Yes, the pip can be a hole or it can be just a raised bump on the surface of the egg. They can begin peeping even before the egg is pipped and as early as the 19th day. Even earlier than that for very small bantams. Some chicks can be out of the egg within an hour or two of pipping while others can take two days.

5. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Cool... thanks for the info. I'm giddy with excitement [​IMG] . This is such a fun adventure. Olivia is my EE that insisted on being a mommy, so I got 2 eggs from my neighbor.

6. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    TWO FOR TWO ...cute little BR fuzzy butts. [​IMG] [​IMG] Olivia is a super mama [​IMG] . Should I put anything in there? She has water, laying feed and I give her cracked corn by hand. [​IMG] happy day... My grandsons are here this weekend. They got to see the pips last night and chicks this am. A good lesson in patients, and letting nature take it's course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by