Am I just a mother hen?

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
We went away on vacation last week and for the first time in two years, I didn't see my chickens on a daily basis. They're very important to me. I have them more for pets or companionship than egg production or anything else. I was having fuzzy-butt withdrawals (I've got 6 cochins) by the time yesterday came around.

Each night when I "put them to bed" I'll shut the door going from the coop to the pen. The pen door is closed also. This past week in order to keep our neighbor who looked after them for me from having to walk over twice each day(she's 77, but a great old gal), I had her leave the coop door open all the time. It freaked me out though. Nothing has ever gotten into the pen or coop(knock on wood). Am I just a fussy overprotective mother hen closing the coop door each night?

I do the same thing. I leave the doors open now so I don't have to get up so early
tongue.png
I had them in an open topped pen over a year and then came the coons, so I had to build a fortress and now I leave the doors open with a wire top and a trap by the pens. Worrying is not a bad thing!

Back
Top Bottom