Am I out of line thinking I can do this?

Sounds like you've been doing lots of research. :). The only thing I thought I would mention is have you thought about having a few Easter Egg hens? The only reason I am suggesting this is that people LOVE those blue eggs & you will set yourself apart from competition. Even if they only got one blue egg people seem to go gaga over them. Good luck with the coop!

Sounds like you've been doing lots of research.
smile.png
. The only thing I thought I would mention is have you thought about having a few Easter Egg hens? The only reason I am suggesting this is that people LOVE those blue eggs & you will set yourself apart from competition. Even if they only got one blue egg people seem to go gaga over them. Good luck with the coop!
I have 4 Americaunas, which many say are Easter Eggers because they came from a hatchery. The blue eggs are great, pretty unusual and always popular. However, the chickens are late bloomers, never acclimated to the regular flock, more often loners and almost wild and not easily caught or "petted" By late bloomers I mean 25 weeks or more to start laying and not every day layers. Just saying. Do you want 8 eggs from 12 chickens a day? Do you want pet type chickens that are easy to catch and thus easy to maintain? Do you want chickens that are good survivors in a free range atmosphere? In my flock the Orpingtons are the most pet like, the most curious and docile. The Plymouth Rocks are the best survivors and also pretty docile and the Americaunas are my favorites but always a pain to put in if I need to go someplace, always the first to jump the fence when their wings grow out, never come for food and always stay seperated from the main flock. REsearch research research. Not all chickens are the same.

Sounds like a great plan.
clap.gif

There are several threads about coops built under decks and they seem to work out just fine.
My chooks don't free range (share the yard with 3 dogs) but they have a large fenced area (roughly 30'x30') and they seem quite happy. I visit with them every afternoon and feed them treats (birdseed mixed with their feed and a few calf manna pellets) and they are friendly and easy to handle. I can pet them while they eat and pick them up with a minimum of fuss.
As far as your concern about medicines and other expenses - like some others, I decided before getting the chicks that I was not going to run up a $300 vet bill on a $3 chick. I had 2 get sick within the first few weeks and ended up loosing them. I treated them as best as I could with 'over the counter' products and some great advise found here on BYC. Chicks are incredibly tough and amazingly delicate. You will probably loose a few as you go along. I would suggest that you spend the extra on the front end buying chicks that are as healthy and from the strongest lines you can find. You are much more likely to end up with adult birds that are healthy, strong, long lived and easy to care for. Just like with horses - if you buy a cheap horse at an auction - you might very well end up spending a ton keeping him healthy. But if you buy an expensive one from a known breeder/trainer you have a much better chance of having years of enjoyment.
Keep us posted on your progress.

I have 4 Americaunas, which many say are Easter Eggers because they came from a hatchery. The blue eggs are great, pretty unusual and always popular. However, the chickens are late bloomers, never acclimated to the regular flock, more often loners and almost wild and not easily caught or "petted" By late bloomers I mean 25 weeks or more to start laying and not every day layers. Just saying. Do you want 8 eggs from 12 chickens a day? Do you want pet type chickens that are easy to catch and thus easy to maintain? Do you want chickens that are good survivors in a free range atmosphere? In my flock the Orpingtons are the most pet like, the most curious and docile. The Plymouth Rocks are the best survivors and also pretty docile and the Americaunas are my favorites but always a pain to put in if I need to go someplace, always the first to jump the fence when their wings grow out, never come for food and always stay seperated from the main flock. REsearch research research. Not all chickens are the same.

All good points, but I will add that every flock is different too. All my chickens come running when I come out the door, if they are still in the run then they line up at the fence and pace until I get there. If I have the "chicken bucket" in my hand an all out frenzy begins, and Lord stop the presses if I go to the grain bin. When the hens are out and I go to the grain bin the hens are literally under my feet, I have actually stepped on a few. The types I have are Silkie, White Leghorn, Red Star, Easter Egger, Bantam Dark Brahma, Spangled Hamburg mix, Jersey Giant, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and have had Barred Rock in the past. All of them come to food, seem to do well free ranging, and none of them have a problem attacking a stray cat, nor running off the pigeons and doves that try to come in to eat the scratch grains. So yes, do the research, but realize that each flock will behave differently, and each breed within that flock as well. The longer a group is together the more cohesive they will be. There will always be a pecking order and a top hen will emerge and no one else will mess with her. Have fun

Back
Top Bottom