Am I ready for winter?

biteme2134

Songster
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
GA
My Coop
My Coop
We have 9 chicks we got from Idealpoultry - we received them on 10/16. They've been in the garage so far with a heat lamp. They have a hot spot so they come and go from the heat. We live in mid GA so we've had some nights in the upper 20s outside. I have the ability to heat the coop/brooder outside but would feel safer not to have to heat it. When would you put them outside ?

Those guys have enough feathers to be able to regulate their body heat. I'd start weaning them from the supplemented heat, first by raising the lamp and then by cutting their extra heat hours. In winter I usually start by switching the heat lamp off during the day, but leaving them inside, followed by moving them outside during the day, then leaving the heat lamp off at night as well and then, after a day or 3, moving them outside full time. Let their behaviour guide you (not the yelling bit
wink.png
), if they dogpile and/or huddle together tight they are too cold. If they are spread out comfortably they are warm enough. They will yell their heads off when you start removing the heat at first, but ignore that for a few minutes and watch how they behave otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom