Am I the only person who is not using an incubator?

In the past 20+ years I have on had 1 broody hen. I wish it were different but it isn't. If I want chicks of the breeds I prefer I either have to hatch the eggs myself or find someone to sell me chicks. For good quality stock I am willing to spend money on shipping eggs risking getting 0 or a few chicks out of a hatch. To me a few good quality chicks is better than 25 hatchery chicks.

It is not just chicks either. I have tried my hand at geese and manage to hatch out a small gaggle which would have cost me a lot more money had I found someone to sell me goslings. Hopefully next week I will have a few more goose eggs go in the incubator.

I am not interested in purchasing 30 guineas at a time so it makes more sense to hatch a few eggs. Getting to wild things to hatch an egg for you is almost ridiculous. I have these in an incubator also.

I have ducks in an incubator now. To the best of my knowledge there isn't anyone near me that is raising them. If I want them I have to either find a breeder willing to ship or hatch the eggs. It makes more sense to hatch the eggs $$ wise.

I have 6 incubators. 3 I built and 3 I bought. I don't mix fowl in my barn and feilds. I don't mix up eggs in my incubator. I just don't. I don't like it. It just goes against the laws of nature for me.
smile.png

Well, my first and most likely only hatch was as successful as I expected it to be. The ONE egg I thought would hatch was the only egg that did hatch. The others were duds, as I thought they would be.

And, I have a feeling the little EE is a cockeral. That will make my existiing silkie roo, Sparkey, the little 6 week old RIR, Rhett, a strongly suspected 3 week old Polish and this one. Hmmmm.......my biggest fear coming true here. alas.......LOL

barnie.gif

I'm going crazy because the first set of eggs should have hatched by now! It's been almost a month and that's not normal yet when I opened one last weekend, there was a fully formed chick, wings and all, with a significant amount of yolk still attached to what looked like a white umbilical cord. Two of my four hens are broody, the others are broody-wannabes or posers. Whenever the wannabes leave their "nests" for too long, the rooster has his way with them and then chases them back into their henhouse.

Do I just keep on waiting?

Back
Top Bottom