Am I top roo/hen? What does that mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by averytds, Aug 8, 2008.

1. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I have 4 of 6 laying now. The top hen has been laying almost 6wks longer than anyone else. She's also bigger and definately the boss. No roos with them as of yet.

If I go to pet the 2 who are not laying yet, they crouch and sidle away. The 4 who are laying including the top hen, hunker down and do the full on squat until I stop. Does this make me the top roo/hen?

If so, is there some advantage to be gained?

2. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I am no expert but sounds like to me. This is the behavior my hens have with my roo. They huncker down when he comes around. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I think it just makes you the big Not-A-Chicken that they are a bit wary of. I don't think they equate us with their own pecking order at all. Once in a while you get a roo that fixates on people as rivals, then you have to eat 'em or carry a broom everywhere to whack them with. But mostly, I think they just see us as "not-one-of-us".

4. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    LOL!!! When we had the 3 hens with th wild Roo, we had the same problem. If the roo isnt there, and I go up to the hens, they squat down. If the roo is there they squat to him and me. But when Im near the roo, I carry a shovel cause hed attack!!! But its mostly a dominance thing. Some people's roos also squat.

Also if your hen is about to lay, I've heard they squat too!

5. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I found a benefit! If you want them back in the run and they don't want to stop ranging, now I can just go pick them up. No more "shoo, shoo" while I try to block all the escapes. LOL

6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Yes, you are the top roo in your flock. I have found when they squat, it is a good time to pick them up, do a general health check. Makes them easier to handle when you really need to. And I think they love the attention.

Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by