Amateur chicken farmer.

If you have a lot range meant for your chickens, I would consider using mobile chicken coops. It's just an enclosure with a roof cover and shade and two wheels on one end, a bar for you to lift and pull on the other. For daytime grazing, it's a light weight contraption and you can move the chickens along and keep them safe. There's no floor. The chickens will walk along with it as you move it. If you are having a lot of chickens, make a few of these and graze a few chickens in each so they can spend more time in one spot. Then in the evening, walk them all back to their main coop which would have an overhead chicken wire against the hawks and be sure your fencing is strong and well nailed together so the dogs can't break in.
I've also seen people make foyer entrances so that if your dog rushes in when you open the door, he can't get past the 2nd door and you can usher him out. Like-wise when exiting, chickens can't escape when you open the door to let yourself out.
So sorry for your losses!
My great aunt only a few years ago lost all her chicken out of her coop when some wander dobermans broke in during the night, and she never had that problem before in all her years of keeping them. It's easier to be prepared when you know what you need to be prepared for. So I think when you shore up your coop, you'll want to add chickens slowly to see if the new model will stand up to the dogs and if it doesn't at first, you won't lose so much at once again. You'll want to make any enclosure just as durable if the dogs can get to it.

Hello everyone. Thank you for the add. I'm a new member on here and fairly new to the chicken farming. 🐔. I stater with 24 chickens no I only got 3, due to a chicken hawk and my dogs. My question is how do you deal with the haws taking your chickes and your dogs killing your chicken. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm ignorant about the raising of chickens but I'm willing to learn the does and don't. Plus I been hatching baby chicks to replace the one I had lost, so far I have 5 chicks out 12 eggs 🥚. And 12 more in the incubator.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom