Amazing: My broody hen went on "Lock-Down" today....

crazy huhn

Songster
May 24, 2008
I just thought I would share:

My broody hen went on "Lock-Down" today. The last time she came off her nest was yesterday late afternoon to eat, drink and dust bath. It was day 18. Today I opened up her crate like I did all the other 18 days before, but she did not come out anymore.

Isn't it amazing, that a broody hen knows exactly when her eggs are due to hatch? Is it instinct? So everything being said about "Lock-Downs" with incubators has been proofed correct. I had many broody hens in the past, but never really paid attention if they came off the nest or not.

Interesting. Looking forward to day 21, which would be Saturday - however I have experienced it many times, too, that eggs under a broody hen hatched on day 20.

They certainly do know as they also often know which ones fail during sitting (casting them out of the nest).

Maybe they hear the chick, feel the chick moving, or maybe even chemical messengers that the hen can smell herald hatching. It may be all three.

Good luck for the hatching,

Sandie

Quote:
Thank You.

The hatch went well and by the end of day 20 I had 4 cute little baby chicks (pictures to follow.......)

Must have been amazing to watch demonstration of one of nature's wonders, seeing it so distinctly. I haven't been conscious of lockdown before, so have missed it thus far.
Very cool! Stories of good mama henning are always uplifting to hear.
clap.gif

Thank You all for your nice kind words.

I have hatched so many chicks in the past, but embarrassed to admit that this was the first time I actually noticed the "Lock Down". I am sure all my other broodies in the past did the same thing, but busy me never paid attention. However, now, like with all my other hatches, I love to watch the babies all day long. Who needs a TV or movie theatre if you have chickens and baby chicks?

AWESOME I can't wait for one of mine to go broody!! I sure would like to know what it is exactly, a hormone or what that the chickens can tell how thier eggs are bad. I wonder if they can hear the chick's heartbeat..

Back
Top Bottom