Ambassadors for the farm

We had another outreach effort involving agriculture where a couple of my birds were employed. Effort was centered on a festival with our land grant university where I was also one of the organizers. As result birds and I got there about four hours before event actually started. Birds immediately caused a stir because they were released immediately upon our arrival. They then proceeded to conduct themselves in manner that is sure to get me visited by grounds staff. As usual people also kept telling me that my chickens are loose and will run away. My birds are old hat at this so I had little concern but still checked with them every 15 minutes or so to confirm. The birds explored the virgin (to chicken scratching) landscaping and began filling up. About an hour into this an American Crow (appeared juvenile from last year or female although females should have been brooding) spotted chickens from some distance away and flew over to investigate. Crow first landed in tree about 30 feet up so it looked down on chickens from a 45 degree angle. Chickens were very much aware of the crow. Rooster engaged crow in stare down while hen continued to warily forage. Then crow began a series of fly overs getting closer to chickens each time. Cock held his ground and displayed both posturing and vocal signals of aggression as about half a dozen humans looked on from within 50 feet of action. Then crow landed on ground about 30 feet from chickens and approached them in what I think was a belligerent act. Then both chickens went after him with crow barely evading a flogging. Crow was not noted near chickens for rest of day.

When the actual festival started another pair of chickens where brought in by another party. These where black (melanistic) version of Americanas that where caged. My birds were denied access to caged birds by perimeter netting and keeper of the other birds. Keeper of other birds had very different narrative from mine about keeping birds, especially with respect to managing roosters for aggressions. The party was also very vocal in that narrative and otherwise had a different emphasis on what was related to public. My emphasis was on behavior and getting birds to walk over and feed from hands of children when children offered food. Other party had kids approach the sometimes jumpy chickens in cage and at least once the hen was pulled out by the displayer for kids to handle. Those birds where not keen on such handling as most are not. That part was good but the narrative was not. Other party emphasized relationship with rooster where human should the aggressor whenever rooster crowed or tried to mate hen in close proximity to the human as allowing rooster to do so promotes aggression towards humans. Displayer also employed head removal for roosters that where aggressive. At same time my bird did everything but behave aggressively towards humans no more than 20 feet away. My display roosters are 4 years plus old. I am going to have to figure out how to get my approach more air time as other party’s aggressive narrative likely carried more weight with audience. Some attendees seemed scared if approaching my birds after dealing with other party.

Today another event where goal was to educate about animal welfare. This time hen was confined while rooster ranged inside building and out back. He was slow to warm up to crowd but did eventually get into the act. Best part was when hen gave signs she wanted to lay. The crowd was told egg laying was imminent so I placed a nest in pen (1 m^3 fish cage) where she promptly entered and then laid her egg. Then she rolled all eggs before tidying up the nest. When she came off nest I released to run with rooster and explained what was about to happen. After about 15 minutes the rooster topped her as every one watched. The funny part was the looks on the faces of the kids when they saw what was going on and began asking adults what happened.

If I showed up it was not needed for another party to do bird side which is what was realized. The other narrative not mine did not seem to go well with others as there is also how the narrative is presented. The presentation is the hard part for me and is a real challenge when dealing with an audience that varies by the minute. Sometimes you deal with experienced people versus novices then next minute you have different ages. Kids require a very different approach than adults. What is presented must have entertainment as well as education value to all parties.

Another event yesterday. Only 150 people showed up despite perfect weather. Two parties brought dogs to event, one had very obvious interest in causing harm.

I found a flock we used for outreach on campus has been disbanded owing to a predator management problem. One hen lost while free-ranging to dog brought in on a leash. A second was lost to probable raccoon that got into run and then into coop where it killed chicken. Poultry care giver went straight to use of leg-hold traps resulting in another passerby seeing a ground hog caught in the trap. Word quickly got to dean saying remove birds or cease predator management. Poultry care giver holds that only leg traps are appropriate tool. This all comes second hand except from care giver but interaction appeared polarized with assessments of other parties intent and knowledge being seriously questioned. The dispute has a lot in common with politics in Washington where all parties hold the position of my way or the highway. Looks like I will be brought in to provide alternative options.

The coop involved is heavier / more predator resistant than any I have ever seen on this site. A grizzly bear would have trouble tearing into such.

With respect to predator / flock issue mentioned above, I am getting a better handle on the situation by talking to parties directly. Background / field of expertise clearly impact positions held. Also, parties not taking into account how the public sees what they see. The parties assume the public sees everything and has a similar background. Main problem is not really a predator management issue in my opinion. Looks like the human side of ambassadorship needs further scrutiny.

Back
Top Bottom