Ambassadors for the farm

We had a cold spell (2 mornings in the mid 20's and 2 in the high 20's) that did in our fruit blooms and several eggs this spring.
I guess that got your eggs also. I hope that you have better luck with your next batch.
thanks for the update!
Scott

This a picture of Stanley after a day on the job. A couple hundred kids and about 40 adults got to handle him. Much of the time he simply walked about among the people. He was cool with everyone but me as he gave modest effort to get away each time I picked him up.

Forage was exceptional such that he was able to feed up without leaving a 25 foot square display area. He kept flying up on display tables.

Audience this time more rural than typical. A pattern may have be observed where parties remarking on how tame Stanley is relative to their man-fighters at home petted in a different manner. People with man-fighters more inclined to pet Stanley from above and sometimes as if patting. Same parties also more aggressive in their references to chickens and even towards Stanley. A couple even tried to scare him as a joke. Observations not blind.

Stanley is a nice looking Cock, how old is he again?
Is this more of your schools programs?
Do alot of people have man-fighters in your area for a reason?
Thanks for the update!
Scott

Stanley is about 11 months old so still a cockerel by some standards and a bullstag by those used for his breed. He will not be a proper gamecock until roughly this coming November.

Yes, educational programs. Doing another this morning. This effort targeted a lot of younger kids. Normally we host an event that takes in about 1,000 kids but budget woes shut that down. Now we hit smaller events hosted by high schools or municipalities. Some efforts directed more to recruiting college students interested in agriculture. The rooster is being increasingly regarded by the recruiters as a ringer because he pulls potential recruits from any other display. Even other schools taking note.

The man-fighting / human aggressive chickens does not appear to be concentrated in my area. What is going on is these events allow me to rapidly interact with relatively large numbers of present or past poultry keepers where they typically give me accounts they have had with chickens. I do think most people do not know how to interact with their chickens in a manner that is conducive to harmony. I spend a lot of effort describing how to operate around a rooster in the 2 to 3 minutes I have with patrons.

I agree with that, most people don't know how to interact with any kind of livestock, large or small without someone to help them.
Good to hear that Stanley is effective at getting results for your efforts.
Thanks for explaining the ongoing program.
Scott

Another field day, this one involving high school kids at a summer camp.

Hen with eleven 20-day old chicks trained.
20170602_180136.jpg

Kid feeding with treats proved to be a very good assistant.
20170602_194139.jpg

Female student was scared of chicks at first but quickly adapted.
20170602_194450.jpg

Hen used this time was acquired from another breeder. I had to break her of being aggressive which proved far easier than I thought possible. Still does not perch when picked up, she bails out of your hand.

Last edited:
Another field day, this one involving high school kids at a summer camp.

Hen with eleven 20-day old chicks trained.
View attachment 1029619

Kid feeding with treats proved to be a very good assistant.
View attachment 1029620

Female student was scared of chicks at first but quickly adapted.
View attachment 1029622

Hen used this time was acquired from another breeder. I had to break her of being aggressive which proved far easier than I thought possible. Still does not perch when picked up, she bails out of your hand.

Very nice groups you have there!
How is the hen that you were using earlier this year doing with the flight training?
Thanks for the update!
Scott

Notice where hen with brood is roosting. They went on field trip for a couple hours then I released them to forage in yard to see if they might work their way back to barn. They did some powerful bug hunting in area centered on truck. Doors where left open for airing out. Pen was on top of bed hard cover and a couple chicks tried to get back to it. Hen preferred interior so that is where they went.
20170611_205243-jpg.1039591

Back
Top Bottom