Ameracauna color/pattern identification help please

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
Ok before anyone gets going I know they are EE's; when I bought them I thought they were coming from a local breeder, they didn't, they're from Xtreme Game Birds in Texas.
I am hoping for some help in identifying this coloring and pattern, even thought they aren't perfect, they are good birds and I would like to choose a roo that will give the best colored offspring - just for looks, not for show bird perfection.
Right now I have a black, a splash, a white and maybe one other roo. My customers love these girls though and call them my "pheasant colored birds" and would like offspring from them.

This is Little Baby:
19992_color_patterns001.jpg

This is Fancy Pants:
19992_color_patterns002.jpg

and this is GoldyLocks:
19992_color_patterns007.jpg

Thank you in advance, everyone on here is soo helpful!

If they were game hens they would be black breasted reds
smile.png
But since they are EE, even if you get a roo that is the same color as they are, you'll have various different colored chicks. So I would say just pick the roo you like best and keep him.

I'd keep the splash roo because you'd get varying amounts of blue on the offspring. It's hard to say how much since there's a whole jumble of genetics going on with EE's, but I bet you'd get some pretty birds.

thanks, I am keeping all the roos, I may even buy one or two more. Curently I have the splash roo in with black hens and the black roo in with splash hens . . . can you tell I am going for blue chicks? But I would like to put these girls in with one of them (or a new one) and see what I get, but I don't know what their color pattern is called to enter it into the calculator. Can we just pretend that they are Ameraucanas, maybe just not perfect ones . . . If so then what would their color be called? Is black breasted red it? They don't have black breasts at all . . . and they are more gold than red . . . but is that just the name?

I think I would call them a kind of wheaton, or laced- like partridge. Don't think it's workable in the chicken calculator. I would use the spash roo for the brown birds and hope for some kind of blue partridge.
Either way- you're destined for some nice looking birds
wink.png

thanks, I am afraid if I put them with the splash roo I would get something really wild!
Actually I just found the deffinition of Black Breasted Red that shellyd suggested and I think she may be right on, now why would they call it black breasted if it didn't have a black breast?????

The males are Black Breasted Red.
The females are salmon breasted, like yours.
Comparable to light brown leghorns.

This is also the color of Red Jungle Fowl.
The wild precursor to the Domestic Chicken.

POCOPOYO

The problem with trying to use a genetics calculator with EEs is that they aren't pure and won't breed true:

I have a white hen I breed to a mostly white/blue spangled roo, both have grey legs. The offsring so far have been: White, blue, black, brown chipmunk, and blue chipmunk.

There's no way of knowing what's hidden under the colors.

I would call them partridge, perhaps?

My EE, Candy looks exactly like your first pic. She had 1 baby by a silver duckwing that came out so beautifully bizarre, that I am going to try it again. The baby came out in several shades of silver-grey with a white head. She (Cookie) is my Bald Eagle bird. Experiment with several of your roos, that's what I'm doing. It's always a fun surprise when they molt into adult colors.
Oh, and, purely for research and educational purposes, we will have to see photos of your offspring.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom