Ameracauna roo x hybrid layer

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PTA Chicks, Aug 23, 2019.

1. PTA Chicks

PTA Chicks Songster

Jan 15, 2012
    KZN, South Africa
    I've got 4 or 5 chicks hatched today from Ameracauna roo x with hybrid red layer. Are there any tricks to telling gender by colour with a cross like this? Purely for education reasons. They will all be grown,not killed as babies.

I also have 2 Ameracauna x Ameracauna. No idea which is which, my Ameracauna girl is black. The roo was reddish.

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    There's no way to tell the gender of these easter eggers until they're around 8 weeks.

sourland likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Size of legs. Your best indicator at this point.

4. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Songster

Apr 25, 2019
    Carroll county, Maryland
    No. There's no sex linked traits you'll be able to see on these crossings. You'll just have to wait and see

sourland likes this.
  5. PTA Chicks

PTA Chicks Songster

Jan 15, 2012
    KZN, South Africa
    Wait and see is my usual approach. As an experiment and a maths lesson on probability and guessing,we are also testing out various other methods (scientific or not). Wing length, behaviour,shape of egg (we only used rounded ones), pendulum etc. My kids are keen :)

sourland likes this.
  6. PTA Chicks

PTA Chicks Songster

Jan 15, 2012
    KZN, South Africa
    Proud mommy and her 6 babies. According to size of legs we might have 1 boy. According to wing feathers we might have 1 boy. We might be totally wrong on all counts! They're all very cute and happy and enjoying running around.

Attached Files:

sourland likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: