Ameracauna vs. Easter Egger colored eggs?

Julieugar

Chirping
Apr 11, 2023
My 21 week old pullet called Bertha layed her first egg(s) on Sunday, which were two small eggs. They were light blue in color, and small. She skipped yesterday, but today layed her second egg, but it’s a light green color. I’m a first timer, and was under the impression that Bertha is an Ameracauna, but maybe she’s an Easter Egger? It doesn’t matter to me, she’s a sweetie pie, it would just be nice to know.
Here’s a picture of Bertha( in the center), her first two blue eggs and todays dingle egg( her second) which is green. Any insight?
IMG_1843.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1864.jpeg
    IMG_1864.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 30
If you crack those eggs you'll see that they are all three blue on the inside. The green one had brown deposited on top. The egg making process is pretty complicated, there are a lot of different parts. It is not unusual for a pullet laying her first eggs to get parts of it wrong. Laying two eggs in one day or laying a double yolked egg means she had a problem with releasing the yolks to start an egg through her internal egg making factory. The obvious question on the different colors is how sure are you the same hen laid them but it could be a problem with her spray paint set-up in the shell gland. It is not that unusual to get shell-less eggs, thin shelled eggs, really thick shelled eggs, no white eggs, no yolk eggs, and some that are just plain weird. Typically these problems clear up in a few days as her internal egg making factory matures a bit. To me what is kind of surprising is how many actually get it right the first time.

She was probably sold to you as an Ameraucana. I could go through a lot of typing to give the background, but some colored egg layers have been called that since before the Ameraucana breed was developed in the 1970's. So consider it a marketing name, she is not a true Ameraucana. You would not do well at a chicken show with her. But you may get some really nice eggs.

Thanks so much for the replies---I had not responded as the messages did not go to my email as they had in the past! Thank you everyone for your lovely replies:):)

I was told that Bertha is an Ameracauna. I do love to know the breed so I can learn more about the chicken I have. Looking at pictures, I did get the feeling that she's an Easter Egger, or some hybrid? She is extremely sweet and let's us pick her up, while the others want nothing to do with us!

She has become an extremely reliable egg layer. After she got into her groove I can say she hasn't missed laying an egg in the entire 5 weeks she's been at it! I feel so lucky.

It is true, all of her eggs are that lovely shade of blue on the inside, After her first blue egg, she hasn't laid one since. Typically her eggs vary subtlety but are blue-ish green. Look at the picture! the dark green one was another anomaly, a one off! Aren't they so pretty.

Attachments

• easter egger bright.jpg
    easter egger bright.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom