Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
This thread is for all those trying to breed Ameraucana to SOP.

Bantam, and Standard, all colors, including project colors.

Here are some eggs from 2018. From standard Black... nice color on most.

20180402_185321.jpg

A current photo, bantam Wheaten.

She has excellent color.

20210731_211616.jpg

This thread has come at a great time for me I’m learning the SOP for Ameraucana and going through my first set of grow outs. I have chosen to keep this blue wheaten cockerel. What do you think. He is almost 5 months old with I know is still a little young for final decision. I’m keeping still watching his tail, I’d like it to fill in more. I really like his with of chest already 667A21EC-1797-4C1C-8F69-731B800D1E8D.jpeg A1C3C6B9-BD98-42FC-82CC-EF2F55D07098.jpeg FFF55C30-3B57-46A4-A787-2DCFAA9A9CC1.jpeg
one thing I’m totally confused about is choosing pullets. I’m not sure if lighter with minimal tail coloring but clean hackles or darker with some ticking but great tail color. My first goal is my hens are a little narrow in tail spread not pinch tail but close so I’m choosing pullets with widest tail spread. The good thing is I have quite a few pullets to choose from but I’m confused on color. I do like the pullet in the last picture, I think as she finishes her juvenile molt her color my even out. What are your thoughts. And as far as type and confirmation are you seeing problems?

FFAD3EA1-1495-4236-91D4-E5955F60DB6C.jpeg
3AB56F2E-8BFC-455B-AB02-8FB64AB8C5C0.jpeg
4DA35983-7702-4308-89B1-52AE8EEF0451.jpeg 73A41594-D73B-4172-AB3B-35A504A26485.jpeg

This thread has come at a great time for me I’m learning the SOP for Ameraucana and going through my first set of grow outs. I have chosen to keep this blue wheaten cockerel. What do you think. He is almost 5 months old with I know is still a little young for final decision. I’m keeping still watching his tail, I’d like it to fill in more. I really like his with of chest already View attachment 2823196View attachment 2823197View attachment 2823198
one thing I’m totally confused about is choosing pullets. I’m not sure if lighter with minimal tail coloring but clean hackles or darker with some ticking but great tail color. My first goal is my hens are a little narrow in tail spread not pinch tail but close so I’m choosing pullets with widest tail spread. The good thing is I have quite a few pullets to choose from but I’m confused on color. I do like the pullet in the last picture, I think as she finishes her juvenile molt her color my even out. What are your thoughts. And as far as type and confirmation are you seeing problems?

View attachment 2823211View attachment 2823212View attachment 2823213View attachment 2823210
The biggest thing with the male is his wings are super droopy. However, sometimes they droop more when feathers are coming in...he might hold them up better as he matures.

I think he is a great choice of male.

The girls, I would avoid any with a bunch of ticking, unless the ticking comes with great conformation, wide feathers, and nice wide tail.

Ticking is annoying and difficult to get rid of.

Following. I'm up to my eyeballs in Spitzhauben and mixes, but my Ameraucana hatches have been awful this year. Right now I have:
5 - White Hens (all have leakage), DQ
2 - Lavender hens, one is bantam sized, the other has down feathers on her toe webs, DQ
1 - Lavender Roo, he's still gangly and awkward, but he will be gorgeous, except for light barring on his feathering, big DQ
1 - Black Roo, looking good, minimal purple barring (I've already changed his feed), he may be my only candidate.
1 - White male chick, 3 weeks old
2 - eggs hatching this weekend (could be Lav or BBS, I don't remember.

This isn't much to work with, so I guess I'll be working on the Spitzhauben until I can get some decent Ameraucana stock.

If all goes well, I will put the White Roo over the White hens (one is his mother), and the Black Roo over the Lavender hens. I can't find any information on how hard the web down is to breed out. I can't even find the genetics for it, it's not leg or toe feathers, it's down between the toe webs, craziest thing.

What is that from? There are 2 kinds of white, the white I have dealt with is a leaky dominant. So, a leaky white means it is actually white crossed with some other color. (If we are using the word "leaky" the same way)

Which means that a leaky white over a leaky white will give you 1/4 pure white, 1/2 leaky, and 1/4 pure the hidden color.
2 - Lavender hens, one is bantam sized, the other has down feathers on her toe webs, DQ
Well... chunk that bantam one.

The hen with down on her toes, do you know what her parents looked like? In my experience foot feathering is dominant. If she has so little she should be able to produce chicks without it.

But... in general I use kippenjungle as my genetics resource, and I couldn't find leg/feet feathering explained on their site.

I googled, and it looks like I am correct, (but I am not sure about this) feathering on legs and feet is dominant, so it shouldn't be able to hide in a flock. There are 3 sites on the DNA that control it.. That gives you a possible maximum of 6 dominant genes for feathers on the legs and feet (and all the different kinds). She probably has only 1 gene for feathering.

1 - Lavender Roo, he's still gangly and awkward, but he will be gorgeous, except for light barring on his feathering, big DQ

Where did the barring come from? I have never bred lavender. But I have read that their feather quality is often poor. Is the barring from poor feather quality? Or actual barring?

1 - Black Roo, looking good, minimal purple barring (I've already changed his feed), he may be my only candidate.

Again the barring! So odd it also has barring. Did you see his parents?

Following. I'm up to my eyeballs in Spitzhauben and mixes, but my Ameraucana hatches have been awful this year. Right now I have:
1 - White male chick, 3 weeks old
2 - eggs hatching this weekend (could be Lav or BBS, I don't remember.

This isn't much to work with, so I guess I'll be working on the Spitzhauben until I can get some decent Ameraucana stock.

If all goes well, I will put the White Roo over the White hens (one is his mother), and the Black Roo over the Lavender hens. I can't find any information on how hard the web down is to breed out. I can't even find the genetics for it, it's not leg or toe feathers, it's down between the toe webs, craziest thing.
Do you have any photos?

The hen with down on her toes, do you know what her parents looked like? In my experience foot feathering is dominant. If she has so little she should be able to produce chicks without it.
Don't raise this breed, just looking. But in my experience, heterozygous feathered leg is a light feathered layer. Breed to a clean leg and you'll get some clean legs, some light feather legs and some with literally like 4 or 5 tiny feathers

Back
Top Bottom