Ameraucana Hens Loosing Beard Feathers!

LupinLaneChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Lynnwood, WA
Hello,
I have to Ameracauna Bantam hens that have lost the feathers on their beards. Both birds are from different breeders and are not related at all so it is very weird to me that only the two Ameracaunas are having this problem (7 other hens/breeds). Has anyone experienced this before and do they have any suggestions for a cure?
Thanks!

Hally- Ameraucana Bantam 1.5 years old
59972_sam_0551_-_copy.jpg

Gertrude- Ameraucana Bantam 2 years old
59972_sam_0543_-_copy.jpg

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Ameraucanas, 2 years old, healthy weights
2) What is the behavior, exactly. It doesn’t seem to bother them at all
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? It has been occurring for the past 3-4 months. At one point one of them re-grew her beard but only to lose it again a few weeks later
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Just the two of them
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I took her to a show last summer
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer Crumble, fresh clean water, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None so far
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Pine Shavings, Large house type coop, 25ft x 15ft run. They are kept warm, clean and dry.

Some of mine are beardless due to the others picking at them....need to expand their run
hmm.png

I dont think anyone is picking at them. They all get along very well and seem to have enough room. They get the full run of the backyard 3-4 times a week. Thanks for the suggestion though I will keep a close watch on them all!

I have Easter Eggers with bald beards. They are 10 months old and laying well. I have one rooster. There are two or three hens with beards intact, and I've never seen the plucking. I wondered if the rooster was doing that to them when he "catches" them. He can be kind of rough, but that should be the top feathers. Some of them have completely bald necks, which leaves red skin. I haven't seen any damaged skin or blood, but I worry that they will continue since they see red. I can't figure out why a few still have beards, unless they are the peckers. I let them out of their run every evening to free range, so I can't imagine they are that bored, but I can't think of anything else.

I had this same thing happen to my EE last summer. I was practically checking her every day for lice and mites, there wernt any. Overcrowding was a non issue and she was in lower middle part of the pecking order.... I was constantly watching and the picking/pecking just wasnt there. I didnt have a rooster at the time neither. Late this past January, I noticed her muff was starting to grow out. A month later it grew out into a nice full muff/beard. I figured it was due to molt even though her feather loss was miminal, she had completely lost her muff because of molt and it took nearly 6 months to grow it back...this probably what is happening here in this instance.

Oh that would be good. At least there is an end in sight. I just hope hope 3 matching hens have full beards by fair time. They're not very pretty right now.

This is weird but I just posted about my 24 week old EE - so far she is the only one missing face feathers, and we don't have a rooster so that can't be the problem. Sure would love an answer - here is a picture of mine. I put that pine tar "Rooster Booster" no pick ointment on her this evening in case some body was picking on her.
42672_004.jpg

LupinLaneChickens
Did your EE recover ? Did more of your chickens loose their neck feathers? I now have another EE loosing their necks feathers, I don't know why ?? Any thoughts ?

Back
Top Bottom