Ameraucana or Easter Egger

dncarr09

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Lenoir City Tennessee
Hello, I have some 5 week old chicks. I am new to the Ameraucana breed, and I know an Easter Egger can look very similar. I bought several different breeds of chickens from a local breeder. I am new to BYC and was hoping to get a little help from some more seasoned veterans on here. These were sold to me as Ameraucana, but I know that many people don't realize they're selling the mixed breed. The pictures aren't the greatest in the world. I can say they all do have the rose comb and are starting to get the little muffs on the side of their face. They are 5 weeks old. If anyone can tell me what color they are that would be great. Thank you
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I also meant to say that I have a few more pictures in my default album if you want to look. I tried to put the best pics I had, but feel free to look on there. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated by this newbie.

Last edited:
From what I can see, easter eggers. If the breeder is a true "breeder", they'll be able to tell you what color(s) they breed.

I'd say they are EE's, and they should have pea combs not rose combs. They don't look to be any recognized color either. Even if they are EE's they sure are going to be gorgeous!

yep EE (good to see someone already informed and prepared for them to be such).

your birds have pea combs, not rose. "right" comb type for ee. wyandottes have rose, it is much wider and flatter on top. your birds are just young, their combs will grow more distinctly pea combed later.

Yes, there are 3 that are Cockerels. I just happen to pic those up for the pictures that you saw. I actually have 4 Pullets out of the 7. We are going to be eating the cockerels that we have in other breeds. I am not for sure about these guys because I believe that they don't get that big from what I understand around 5lbs. We have a total of around 10 cockerels between our Delaware EE and Lavender Orps.

Back
Top Bottom