Ameraucana roo over Legbar hen

LeslieRowley

Chirping
May 6, 2020
New small time breeder here, I hatch out pure ameraucanas, Easter eggers & olive eggers. I have one cream legbar hen I acquired and aside from knowing her chicks will lay blue, I've found conflicting information in regards to if her chicks would be autosexing ?
Any guidance and explanation on whether or not this is true would be great along with the genetic reasons for so or not.

Since your hen has one barring gene, all of her sons (cockerels/roosters) will also have the barring gene (and the pullets won't)

So when they start feathering you should see barring in the wings, or they may have a head spot?
Thanks for the response ! Our first hatch had some chicks with the spot on the head. I'll be confirming those are roosters from the families that got them before I feel confident enough to ensure hens vs roos. But it was pretty clear dot vs no dot

Since your hen has one barring gene, all of her sons (cockerels/roosters) will also have the barring gene (and the pullets won't)

So when they start feathering you should see barring in the wings, or they may have a head spot?

Yes, that sounds right.
As long as the Ameraucana father is not barred or cuckoo, his chicks from any barred (or cuckoo) hen will be sexlinks.

Back
Top Bottom