Ameraucana Sounds Different

Pstock44

Songster
Oct 19, 2016
Gray, TN
I just received a possible Ameraucana hen, at least she looks like one. She's in quarantine and seems fine but she sounds....ummm, different. Her cluck is sort of harsh, coarse or rough maybe, its hard to describe. I know different breeds can sound different even while making the same "sounds" (clucks, purrs, cooing, etc).

My question is, is it normal for an Ameraucana to have a harsher voice than other breeds?

Nope, has absolutely nothing to do with her breed, chickens just all have different voices much like us. In my flock I've got some lovely melodic cluckers and I've got a few that sound like old chain smokers. :)

That's kinda what she sounds like, an old chain smoker. Was listening again tonight and she almost sounds like a goose going bawk, bawk. Definitely very different. TY

How old is she?
Juveniles changing from peeping to clucking often go thru a 'honking' stage.

Not sure of her age. Old enough to lay though. She laid egg the day after I got her but none since, I suspect that's due to the environment change of being in quarantine.

Not sure of her age. Old enough to lay though. She laid egg the day after I got her but none since, I suspect that's due to the environment change of being in quarantine.
Oh, the honking I hear happens way before laying.
But all birds have different 'voices'.

Back
Top Bottom