Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hi - this is my first post to this forum. I have some 12 week old Ameraucana cockerals that I would appreciate some feed back on. Theses are the best pics I have gotten, as the little buggers are afraid of the click my camera phone makes.
roll.png

I just introduced them to scratch feed today, so hopefully will be able to get better pics soon, if needed.

they are black and blues
94534_black_ameraucana_cockeral1-1.jpg

94534_black_ameraucana_coakeral_2-4.jpg

94534_black_ameraucana-cockeral2-2.jpg

94534_black_ameraucana-cockeral_2-3.jpg

94534_blue_ameraucana_cockeral_1-2.jpg

94534_bb_ameraucana_cockerals_-2.jpg

my favorite girl
94534_blue_splash_ameraucana_pullet.jpg

thanks!

Quote:
Phew, cuz that's what my black bird has....thought he was defective.

Both my black girls have black legs - with pink toenails! One of them, it's only the middle toe that has the pink toenail. Same on both feet!! (Caught one of them doing a righteous rendition of the egg song this afternoon. It's her second egg - 22 and a half weeks old. She's becoming a pro fast!!!
big_smile.png
)

Quote:
Your younger boy below is very pretty!

I have to tell you, I am quite disapointed with my Meredith boys. They are 4 months old and look a little more developed than your boys (are you sure yours are 7 months old?). I inspected them over the weekend and everyone is getting blue feathering in the beard/muffs but it is just starting to come in. I just cant figure out why they look so scraggly--I thought it was juvenile molt issues but after seeing your birds it makes me wonder if they just have bad feather genes. I know it isn't a nutritional deficiency because all of the other birds in my flock are in amazing condition feather-wise. Also, all of my boys have some degree of hackle striping, and unfortunately the one with the least has this weird tail quirk where he pulls it to the left while moving.

I'm going to cull all 3 of mine and put them on CL this week...

Quote:

I looked back through my records and indeed I was mistaken, they are not 7 months old, they are 5 months old. And Pretty Boy is 1 month older.

Yes mine are all scraggly and weird looking and some have wry tail too. I will pick the best ONE to see how they turn out, maybe they are just late maturers, but I will be culling the rest as well.

Glad to hear it wasn't just mine.
roll.png

Oiy, I went out there and checked on my broodies. I had put 4 EE eggs under them hoping it'd break their broodiness when they hatched.

Looks like 1 got pecked to death...
idunno.gif

I was dead in shell...
hit.gif

And the other two aren't pipped yet.
barnie.gif

And I was really hoping this was the end of broody land. I am starting to get really worried about my girls, they are getting thin and not laying.
he.gif

That is frustrating Cari and a bit icky.

I am beginning to think Ameraucanas are just meant to be broody.

My Lavender ameraucana from DAK laid 6 eggs (the bluest eggs EVER!!!) then went broody.
Finally she laid 2 more and is broody again!!
barnie.gif

Quote:
A recent thread on the Ameraucana Breeders Club forum indicates some consider the practise of plucking feathers, stubs, or down to simply be prepping an individual for showing, though it's clearly forbidden by the APA as such a serious offence that every bird entered by the exhibitor, if caught, is to be disqualified. I think this may shed some light on why so many Ameraucanas from supposedly good sources sport feathers on their legs.

Well, pray for my little Ameraucana broodies. Woke up this morning to two healthy babies under the three broodies. Removed all bits of egg or anything that looked like an egg. Hopefully they will raise the two babies and STOP being broody!
roll.png
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom