Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

To: jajeanpierre: Angie-fowlrus- in Schertz. I know she goes to some of the shows with several of her breeds. I got an EE from her last year that lays an olive colored egg-not now-molting :(

I was just wondering because I know there is someone close to you who has some nice birds from Paul Smith.  I just wondered the lineage of your pullet.
Yes I asked today & her line is from Paul Smith. :)

I've been to Schertz! I have family living there.
smile.png

Yeah, me too! Twenty five years ago, they gave speeding tickets very frequently on the interstate. Loved living in San Antonio.

Ohio National was great!! I bout two blue ameraucana and a splash!! Next spring I will have a nice breeding pen of bbs!! so Excited!!

I also added some more AMs. 3 black Pullet and a blue Pullet. The bike didn't look the best, but she had very nice lacing so I gourde I would give her a chance. I am just so glad I got some blacks, my cockerel needed some pullets. I am hoping to get some very nice offspring from them. Come on spring!

Hard to get the true colors with the camera. The two darker ones are greenish-blue. The other three are basically the same very light blue, but one hen lays the smaller eggs. Looks like I have three laying but I can still only identify the one splash. After the first of the year, they will go into their breeding pens. I am still not sure if I want to breed the lavs though.

Yeah, me too!  Twenty five years ago, they gave speeding tickets very frequently on the interstate.  Loved living in San Antonio.

I lived there too as a child. Back when the Worlds Fair was held there. It is a much different place, at least where we used to live. I would be scared to walk the mile we used to walk to go to school.

I have 2 Ameraucanas, Paul Smith line. When do they start laying? Mine are 7 months old, but no eggs. Also, will they lay through the winter. I live in southern NH.
Thanks.

I have 2 Ameraucanas, Paul Smith line. When do they start laying? Mine are 7 months old, but no eggs. Also, will they lay through the winter. I live in southern NH.
Thanks.
They need 12-14 hours of daylight to lay well . A lamp timer works fine . Without extra light you may not get any until late March .

It could be a lot of things. Is she eating and drinking normally? Is she keeping the runny eyes shut or squinting? Are they running with goopy stuff? It could be an injury or infection. Is there any redness on the eye lids or third eye lid? Is there any crustiness around the nostrils?

By the way, you might not want to have the bird on your shoulder. Chickens peck everything and they can do a lot of damage to your eye. They are fast. Your glasses might not protect your eyes.
That is what has me think it's just physical irritation - eating, drinking, pooping & acting normally still. No goop, odor, or pussiness/redness which would make me think infection. Nostrils are clear. She is my favorite hen, and I have an appointment tomorrow at a vet just for reassurance. At one BYCer's suggestion I will make sure a swab is taken & analyzed for things like MG. I will let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom