Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Another pic of Tiny on the deck and The back of Rose.

Rose is a pullet, Tiny is a cockerel...

What do you see in Tiny that makes it a cockerel? I am so new to chickens, obviously, I ended up with 5 roos out of 7 in my little mixed flock. This means I will have to find homes for them, as returning them to my source means "freezer camp."

What do you see in Tiny that makes it a cockerel? I am so new to chickens, obviously, I ended up with 5 roos out of 7 in my little mixed flock. This means I will have to find homes for them, as returning them to my source means "freezer camp."

Shape of his tail is one... notice Roses' tail is tent shaped and feathers to either side of her tail have rounded ends... his tail looks like saddle feathers (very long, pointy feathers) are coming in on either side of his tail... comb is much pinker than hers as well, pullets won't brighten up like that until they are close to laying...

Hello everyone! I am working on a little project and I need y'all's help. Can you please take a picture of an egg from your chicken after the egg has been cracked open or in half? The project is intended to demonstrate how eggs have a base color and a coating, so please include the inside color and the outside color of your egg. It can be on a plate, in a bowl, on some news paper, in the grass or even in the frying pan when you're getting ready for breakfast. Use your imagination. Thank you for your contributions! Lavender

EDIT: Please remove the inner membrane so the true color of the shell can be seen on the inside.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I am working on a little project and I need y'all's help. Can you please take a picture of an egg from your chicken after the egg has been cracked open or in half? The project is intended to demonstrate how eggs have a base color and a coating, so please include the inside color and the outside color of your egg. It can be on a plate, in a bowl, on some news paper, in the grass or even in the frying pan when you're getting ready for breakfast. Use your imagination. Thank you for your contributions! Lavender

EDIT: Please remove the inner membrane so the true color of the shell can be seen on the inside.

Only blue eggs, or any color? I have some from brown and green eggs.
I can't post them from my phone, but I can when I get home or you can go through my photo albums to find them. If I remember right, they are either in an Egg Colors album or in my Silverudd's Blue album.

Last edited:
I am so devastated. I just spent the last hour wandering my neighborhood looking for my wheaten and chocolate Ams. I managed to recover 3 live chocolates and 2 wheatens. I have 3 dead chocolates and 2 dead wheatens and 4 missing wheatens. Som critter got in my coop and scattered them, there were corpses up and down the sidewalk, one was mostly eaten right next to the coop and the rest were just decapitated and scattered around. I can hope that my misssing ones are just hunkered down for the night and will make their way home. My poor babies. :hit
I'm so sorry Saris..I know I'm reading this late, my heart goes out to you my friend. Hugs! What about Cocoa puff and Spice?
I want to share something with all of you, just briefly. Yesterday, I lost one of my favorite hens, a year old blue wheaten hen. She was one of those that would come talk to you when you come near, and would love sitting in your lap. I lost her because I wasn't paying attention. I knew the cockbird in that pen was aggressive with his hens, but I would still see them out and about during the day, so I thought everyone was getting food and drink. But I was wrong. One hen, apparently his "favorite", had gotten so intimidated by that cockbird, she quit coming out of the coop - at all. And I wasn't paying enough attention to realize she was losing weight, and becoming dehydrated, until it was too late. I brought her inside yesterday to try and save her, but I couldn't - her systems had already begun to shut down. My first Ameraucana was a cockerel named Hawkeye. Hawkeye was the model for how an Ameraucana cockbird should act - always gentle towards his hens, they got the treats first, never aggressive towards humans - unless you were trying to hurt one of "his" girls! And Hawkeye put that stamp of temperament on all his get...right down to the third and fourth generation. But I had a cockbird, a great grandson of Hawkeye, that got a wild gene for temperament from somewhere. He didn't share treats, and he was very rough with the girls. I put off putting him down, because he was a beautiful bird. I'll never make that mistake again. Now I've lost the cockbird and one of my favorite hens. Maybe someone else will take away a lesson from what happened here.
So many losses on here lately. Susan, it's late but I'm really sorry! I am in a very similar situation right now..The dominant boy is already breeding and the 3 girls have been coming to me for help.. Your a gentle and kind spirit! We all know that Susan, thank you for sharing so others can be aware. Hugs my friend
1f49b.png
I lost her this morning. Snow White died in my arms 6 days after her surgery. She was the best little girl! Now to get over this and get ready for rotator cuff surgery monday. I have enough work to keep me buisy for a month. I just have to get it all done in 4 days.
Even though we talked extensively about this before, during, and after. I'm so sorry! I would be devastated if something happened to Eve. You did an excellent job in trying to save her marchick. You know your my sidekick, and I'll always have your back.
1f49b.png
1f49b.png
I thought I would put a picture of my Paul Smith Ameraucanas first eggs. The three small ones are PS. The larger one is from a sapphire and one end of the season Black Copper Marans egg. [/quote NICE...!
So sorry about Snow White. My Vet tells me she's not had much success with that same surgery either.
Hi Oz! How are you doing?
1f609.png
Ok...the colors are grayed out here to protect our copyright, but decide for yourself :) The egg card (original) 4" x 6", mostly background, 48 colors - lots of greens and some purple The new color wheel (6" x 6"), all egg color except center logo, 40 colors, mostly blues with some greens and blue-greens. Wish I could show the actual colors, but I have to protect our copyright. :)
It looks really good Susan!

Back
Top Bottom