Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

You can try to show him as an Ameraucana, yes. However, there is much much more to an Ameraucana than feather and leg color. Chances are pretty good that he won't have good enough type to do well in a show. If you breed him with white Ameraucana and all of the chicks are white, again you will technically have "legitimate" white Ameraucanas. But the chances of them being of any quality with a hatchery EE rooster are pretty slim as they are likely to inherit poor type from the rooster. I would certainly show him and get the unbiased opinion of a judge before deciding to use him in a breeding program if you are planning on selling the chicks or hatching eggs as anything other than EE.

A couple of pullets from my buff project to improve egg color. These are out of my Pips & Peeps wheaten rooster over buff, Wayne Meredith hens. I am surprised that they have solid buff coloring in the first generation. One of the 3 (not pictured) does have what looks like lavender in her tail and wing bows. Next hatch will have some buff, Blehm pullets x Pips & Peeps wheaten rooster. Anxious to see what I get out of this mix
smile.png

One of the 3 (not pictured) does have what looks like lavender in her tail and wing bows.

What you might be seeing in her tail/wing is Khaki, sometimes Buff birds carry the Dun gene. You typically need two copies of the Dun gene to express Khaki (1 copy of Dun from each parent bird) so I'm not positive if that's exactly what it is.

Very pretty girls, it looks like you're project is coming along nicely.

ETA: Do you have any pictures of the other girl with the odd color?

Last edited:
I've attached 2 clearer pictures of the two suspected cockerals...I think the first is the Wheaton Cockeral and the other is a Blue Wheaton Cockeral? I just want to be sure before I accidentally get rid of a pullet. I see what you're saying about the pea comb...the one in the first picture is just more matured/dominent. I have 3 small kids under 5yrs and I'm really nervous to have a rooster around them. It's a shame as the first one has been my kids favorite chick! I TRULY appreciate the replies!

Keep him if you like him! My youngest child is 3 and she is terrified of some of my roosters. I kill the really nasty ones. Right now, the only ones that attack her are my Wheaten Penedesenca, who I am not getting rid of until/unless I get a good replacement, and our 2 bantam roos, who attack anything that moves, but especially boots. lol. She's never been hurt. But my Ameraucana roosters have NEVER attacked her! They were very hard on the hens/pullets when they were young (being young randy things), but they were never aggressive towards people whatsoever. My daughter is absolutely fine with the Ameraucana roosters and our huge black Orp boy. They are nice. I have heard, and this is absolutely my experience as well, that hatchery roos are meaner b/c they just breed indiscriminately, while breeder roos tend to be much nicer to people b/c private breeders treat their birds as pets and will cull based on personality as well as looks. Absolutely true, imo.

Btw, those are very typical pea combs. :)

Last edited:
What you might be seeing in her tail/wing is Khaki, sometimes Buff birds carry the Dun gene. You typically need two copies of the Dun gene to express Khaki (1 copy of Dun from each parent bird) so I'm not positive if that's exactly what it is.

Very pretty girls, it looks like you're project is coming along nicely.

ETA: Do you have any pictures of the other girl with the odd color?

Actually, some of the roosters I hatched from my original order of buff hatching eggs from Meredith had this color show up in their faces and tails. Here is a picture of the 3rd pullet with the leakage in the tail and wings. She has the dark beak and darker blue legs. The rooster that hatched with them has the same color in his tail.

Back
Top Bottom