Ameraucanas from Meyer Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by everythingjane, Mar 8, 2009.

1. everythingjane

everythingjane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Has anyone ordered Ameraucanas from Meyer in the past? I was curious what color eggs they produce.. In the egg photo in the catalog, one of the eggs looks white..
    Also, what color are the hens primarily? Past Ameraucanas (from 2 other hatcheries) seemed to be mostly medium browns.. hoping for something different, but mostly interested in the egg color..
    Thanks!

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hi, no hatchery sells Ameraucanas. They sell a mixed breed that does not meet the APA standard of the Ameraucana. They are called Easter Eggers by many. The hatchery birds will lay a blue/green egg, or white, brown, pink and other colors. So there is no guarantee of what you will get.

Do a search of Ameraucana and EE and you will be able to read a great deal about this subject.

I have true Ameraucanas from breeders that lay beautiful blue eggs. I also have EEs that I adore and value, most of whom lay a blue/green egg. So I would order hatchery EEs, but just be aware they are not consistent in color either in feathers or eggs.

Enjoy![​IMG]

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Well Done Jennifer! Saves me the time to say the same.

God Bless,

4. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I also ordered 2 EE's from Meyers, they should be here on tuesday along with some other chicks...at my local feed store they are getting chicks in tomorrow from mt healthy and i thought i would go in and buy 2 more EE's to better my chances of colorful eggs. I also seen a post somewhere on here a couple of days ago where they had purchased their EE's from Meyers and had very pretty egg color. Sure does make it more exciting doesnt it!

5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am not the official Ameraucana police, but when I am around, I am happy to take a turn with the mantra. [​IMG]

6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I have 2 EE's I got from Meyer's last year, one lays a pretty green egg and the other lays a light blue egg. I'm very pleased with both of them; they are nice hens; have good friendly personalities & lend some nice colors to the egg basket!

7. everythingjane

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the replies.. It's good to know there's a good chance of some blues/greens.. My order is in.. but since my schedule is so hectic right now, I delayed the order until early May.. so I have to wait awhile..
    I had EEs from McMurray and Cackle in the past.. All layed blues and greens. The Cackle ones were my first- a friend gave them to me and they have remained one of my favorites for egg color and production as well as their own appearance and size... I had a Cochin that was the sweetest thing but she was huge and didn't lay as many eggs.

8. paduanchook

paduanchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    McDavid Florida
    ii believe i read that ameracaunas/araucan as were bred from ee's, not the other way around, i have noticed the white ee.s are lighter in weight and lay blue eggs versus the dark ones. so when i pick out ee,s, i pick out the white ones. just an observation and may not be true all the time, but for me it has been

9. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I dont know about the color of eggs yet but here are a couple of my 7 week old girls from meyers.
    [​IMG]
    The arucana showed up in her. Just love her.
    [​IMG]
    No muted browns from meyers:)

Quote:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  10. everythingjane

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    ging3rhoffman, those are pretty chicks.. The one that looks like an araucana is so cool! I won't get to find out about the egg color after all because we decided to cancel the order.. We're getting pure Ameraucana eggs to hatch from a local breeder and decided that we're not ready for that many chicks at once and in two different age groups..

I did just get a gorgeous blue hatchery ameraucana/EE from a friend.. She is the prettiest chicken I've ever had.. She came from Estes in Springfield, MO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by