Ameraucanas slower to lay?

joesgirljeri

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
We got three chickens in July. Matilda (Barred Rock), Beezus (Sexlink) and Hermione (Ameraucana). We were told they would start to lay around the end of August.

Matilda started exactly on time and had one egg every day just like the good and lovely girl that she is (until the neighbor's dog attacked her and now she hasn't layed for a week)

Beezus was about 2 weeks later and is still every other, or every third day.

Hermione is totally holding out! I've never seen her in the nest box. She's really stand-offish so she doesn't hang out with the other two. Her little pea comb goes back and forth from pale to red but that's about it. I've never heard a crow so I don't think we got a rooster by mistake.

Is this normal?

Matilda, Beezus, Hermione.

Matilda's very first egg

We got three chickens in July. Matilda (Barred Rock), Beezus (Sexlink) and Hermione (Ameraucana). We were told they would start to lay around the end of August.

Matilda started exactly on time and had one egg every day just like the good and lovely girl that she is (until the neighbor's dog attacked her and now she hasn't layed for a week)

Beezus was about 2 weeks later and is still every other, or every third day.

Hermione is totally holding out! I've never seen her in the nest box. She's really stand-offish so she doesn't hang out with the other two. Her little pea comb goes back and forth from pale to red but that's about it. I've never heard a crow so I don't think we got a rooster by mistake.

Is this normal?

Matilda, Beezus, Hermione.

Matilda's very first egg
Yes, this is perfectly normal! Our rock started to lay smack on time, followed by our orp and brahma. But our EE didn't start laying until seven months, despite comb color changes like those you describe. I knew EEs are usually late to mature, but two months seemed a little long. But even if you have to wait two extra months, those pretty blue or green eggs are worth it. (great pics, BTW)

Last edited:
Your Easter Egger (that's not an Ameraucana, sorry) will take longer to lay her first egg than a Barred Rock or Red Sex Link. Do you know how old they are? It's normal for EEs to take 25-28 weeks to begin to lay, whereas it's common for RSL to lay their first egg at 18 weeks.

My EE started laying at 17 weeks. Two more started at 20 weeks. The last two are still holding out. They are 22 weeks now.

One of my EEs started at 18 wks...another at about 21 wks. The other three are really holding out at 30 wks!

I have a mixed flock and have had first eggs anywhere between 18 and 24 wks. I was kinda worried about 30 wks and no egg until I asked about it yesterday. It seems EEs are pretty slow to get started.

Back
Top Bottom