American Bresse X Barnyard Rooster

Paul Jones

Chirping
May 27, 2013
Lost River Farms, Rusk Indiana
So I hatched, raised, and butchered some American Bresse. Afterwards, I then let their parents - pure bred Mom and Dad Bresse co-mingle with my brown layer flock.

I can put Mom (the hen) up for a month by herself and then reintroduce Dad (the rooster) and make some more pure bred Bresse chicks. No problem.

But, I thought will it really make that much difference? I have a Rhode Island Red and White Leghorn rooster in my flock along with the Bresse rooster.

Is the meat really going to be that different - I'll be getting at least 50% Bresse ... or should I just be patient and get 100% Bresse?

We all have different tastes, standards, and goals. I have no idea what yours are. My general suggestion to questions like this is to try it and see what you like. It's all going to be chicken. You should try to meet your criteria, not a stranger's criteria like mine.

I don't know what color your Bresse are. It's possible with those three roosters you'll be able to tell which rooster is the daddy. Feather color is an obvious possibility but maybe leg color can help. All of them should be single combed so that doesn't help.

Back
Top Bottom