American Gamefowl

Uh huh. You don’t have the kinda time for all my stories of people that are totally full of it. I firmly believe most people are liars. Maybe not always on purpose but it usually shakes out in the end one way or another. Not just with chickens in all aspects of life. That’s my motivational speech for today. 😂
AMEN!

1AF02A62-38DC-4C47-AC50-7B7C643FE9FE.gif

I’m usually pretty good about it but when I’m not I just don’t post pictures.
I have people coming tomorrow to buy some ducks.
I have been out there cleaning and looking at everything with a skeptical eye...🤣
I always look at the background in pictures too when selling to see if there's anything that looks trashy..

And I guarantee you my duck palace is way cleaner than over half of these people have that come to buy ducks even thought about having... Without any of the the extra effort.🙄

And I guarantee you my duck palace is way cleaner than over half of these people have that come to buy ducks even thought about having... Without any of the the extra effort.🙄
It all just comes down to standards I guess. You see people on here post pictures all the time of birds that look like mud balls, tails all ripped up, muddy runs, sh*tty dilapidated pens etc.. They’ll ask for help wondering why their birds are all going tits up. It’s crazy. They’ll mention all sorts of excuses from Paw wont let me build a new pen to an old football injury is the culprit keeping them from caring for the birds properly. If it wasn’t so pathetic it would be kinda funny.

It all just comes down to standards I guess. You see people on here post pictures all the time of birds that look like mud balls, tails all ripped up, muddy runs, sh*tty dilapidated pens etc.. They’ll ask for help wondering why their birds are all going tits up. It’s crazy. They’ll mention all sorts of excuses from Paw wont let me build a new pen to an old football injury is the culprit keeping them from caring for the birds properly. If it wasn’t so pathetic it would be kinda funny.
I like the paw excuses the best funny you mentioned that I seen one of them today lol

The reason I chose to cull instead is even if I cull every chicken that shows signs they might be one that don't show signs and is still a carrier then every bird on my yard is still in the same danger as a full blown sick bird. I have alot of energy spent in my birds and finally have what I'm looking for in game fowl and now sickness hits. Its got to be my fault somewhere down the line in one way or the other. All I can do is hope in time I'm able to cull the sickness off my yard
It seems that I have missed a lot while on my BYC break. I hope you all are well.
Sorry to hear that you are dealing with an illness in your flock Hillbilly. From the symptoms described it sounds like your birds have a respiratory infection. Poultry respiratory infections are spread by direct contact. This means that the respiratory infection was introduced to your chickens by a wild bird infecting your chickens, contaminated material coming in contact with your chickens (going to another poultry owner’s property and walking in their yard or chicken area and bringing back the disease or if a person with poultry comes to your property), by introducing an infected or carrier bird into the flock, or inadequate ventilation and coop cleaning which can compromise the chickens’ lungs. I’m not saying this is for sure how it happened, but these are the possibilities. Chickens with respiratory diseases can be asymptomatic for years, they may never show the symptoms until a stressful event happens. Introducing new chickens, high temperatures, rapid temperature changes, or a predator attack can all cause stress that can cause otherwise healthy chickens to suddenly show respiratory infection symptoms. Assume that all chickens have the infection even if they are not showing symptoms. Rigorous culling and breeding of only strong healthy birds will make the chickens immune to the infection. They will still be carriers of the disease and if stressed or if their immune system is weakened they can display the symptoms of the respiratory infection. I have found from personal experience that chicks hatched by a broody hen in an afflicted flock do not show the symptoms of the carrier birds even though these chicks are themselves carriers. They have been inoculated to the disease from a young age and have built up an immunity. Weak or failure to thrive chicks should be eliminated, they will have weak offspring. Again I’m so sorry to hear about this Hillbilly. I hope this helps you out.
-Cheers,
Brahma

It seems that I have missed a lot while on my BYC break. I hope you all are well.
Sorry to hear that you are dealing with an illness in your flock Hillbilly. From the symptoms described it sounds like your birds have a respiratory infection. Poultry respiratory infections are spread by direct contact. This means that the respiratory infection was introduced to your chickens by a wild bird infecting your chickens, contaminated material coming in contact with your chickens (going to another poultry owner’s property and walking in their yard or chicken area and bringing back the disease or if a person with poultry comes to your property), by introducing an infected or carrier bird into the flock, or inadequate ventilation and coop cleaning which can compromise the chickens’ lungs. I’m not saying this is for sure how it happened, but these are the possibilities. Chickens with respiratory diseases can be asymptomatic for years, they may never show the symptoms until a stressful event happens. Introducing new chickens, high temperatures, rapid temperature changes, or a predator attack can all cause stress that can cause otherwise healthy chickens to suddenly show respiratory infection symptoms. Assume that all chickens have the infection even if they are not showing symptoms. Rigorous culling and breeding of only strong healthy birds will make the chickens immune to the infection. They will still be carriers of the disease and if stressed or if their immune system is weakened they can display the symptoms of the respiratory infection. I have found from personal experience that chicks hatched by a broody hen in an afflicted flock do not show the symptoms of the carrier birds even though these chicks are themselves carriers. They have been inoculated to the disease from a young age and have built up an immunity. Weak or failure to thrive chicks should be eliminated, they will have weak offspring. Again I’m so sorry to hear about this Hillbilly. I hope this helps you out.
-Cheers,
Brahma
It’s so wonderful to have you back!

Back
Top Bottom