American Gamefowl

Either trap and setup a electric fence even sitting out until weee hours in the early morning or they’ll be dinner. It don’t matter where they “rehome” too because if they ain’t going to do the above either then the birds will be in the same boat as they are now.

Not sure what you are trying to say about the rehome. I moved the GF hen into a coop with my Silkies (instead of the big chickens). This is a coop with an automatic door and a covered run. She is safe in there from predators. She isn't happy about being penned up but she will get used to it. When the other GF hen hatches her chicks within the next week, I will move her in there too.

I confirmed tonight that the likely predator is two young grey foxes. I saw them prowling the fence line while my big chickens were out free ranging. We set off firecrackers to scare them off and rounded up the chickens who went back to their pen for the night. I do NOT plan on letting the Silkies out to free range and this will also include the GF.

Not sure what you are trying to say about the rehome. I moved the GF hen into a coop with my Silkies (instead of the big chickens). This is a coop with an automatic door and a covered run. She is safe in there from predators. She isn't happy about being penned up but she will get used to it. When the other GF hen hatches her chicks within the next week, I will move her in there too.

I confirmed tonight that the likely predator is two young grey foxes. I saw them prowling the fence line while my big chickens were out free ranging. We set off firecrackers to scare them off and rounded up the chickens who went back to their pen for the night. I do NOT plan on letting the Silkies out to free range and this will also include the GF.
Putting a game hen with chicks in a coop with other hens is a recipe for disaster.

Well, what other options do I have? It's either put her in a coop where she is protected or let her take her chances free ranging. I don't have a coop that she can have to herself and her chicks.
Can you re home re home. As in give her to someone else. Or learn a lot about trapping real quick. I've had success with foot traps around the coop or the tractor for coons. I've had to set them off in the morning to keep the chickens out because I free range.

You can also use some live traps near or right next to the coops. Both will let you dispatch of any unwanted critter without ever worrying about hitting any houses.

Putting a game hen with chicks in a coop with other hens is a recipe for disaster.
I would listen to this.

I do understand you are in a pickle. Could you build a dome pen for the hen and chicks?
That may be a fairly easy temporary solution.
I try to keep at least one pen/housing space "empty" - really comes in handy.

I do fear you're going to have some more issues later if you decide to put the other GF back with the GF and Silkies.

I suppose it may all depend on personality of the birds too. Some may not be quite so ready to do battle as others are.

How long must she be segregated with her chicks once they hatch? I do have 2 spare cattle panels that are 4 ft x 16 ft. I also have some chicken wire. I could use those to make a temporary coop/run inside the covered run I have for my standard sized chickens (and goats). Or inside my duck pen which is right next to the Silkie pen. They would be introduced through the fence. Both options are covered runs and generally safe from predators.

The nesting box she is in right now is a storage tub with lid that has an opening cut into the front. I can easily put that into the temporary coop as a form of shelter, along with covering one end with a tarp.

But... I can't keep her like that indefinitely.

How long must she be segregated with her chicks once they hatch? I do have 2 spare cattle panels that are 4 ft x 16 ft. I also have some chicken wire. I could use those to make a temporary coop/run inside the covered run I have for my standard sized chickens (and goats). Or inside my duck pen which is right next to the Silkie pen. They would be introduced through the fence. Both options are covered runs and generally safe from predators.

The nesting box she is in right now is a storage tub with lid that has an opening cut into the front. I can easily put that into the temporary coop as a form of shelter, along with covering one end with a tarp.

But... I can't keep her like that indefinitely.
Gamefowl require a bit more work to keep birds separate. Hens with chicks, roosters etc.. some hens will be fine with chicks with other birds around. Most will just chase off any bird that gets too close. Putting them in an enclosed pen/coop where she can’t get away will usually end up being a nightmare. I’ve gotten away with a lot of things I wouldn’t recommend so you can always try whatever you want as long as you’re plenty aware it may not end good.

Back
Top Bottom