American Gamefowl

Snowed a little here today. Bout time to round up a few of the older stags too. Still got some little ones on the ground though.
Brrr! LOL Just some rain and cool here but I'm thinking I'm ready for warmer weather already. Supposed to be in the upper 20s for a couple of nights, but then warming up. It is what it is.

I have 2 stags still running loose the other was a total pita and he's up already but not sure if he's staying. The stags have sort of split with the ladies, so I'm just biding my time to see what happens. You know I'm on borrowed time 🤣
Got a couple of 5ish week olds running about with Mean Mummy.

1636250189544.png

1636250468763.png

1636250518088.png

I do not know. They clearly indicators of stress. Similar marks in fish I know better are called checks where daily and annual rings can be affected as well as the topology of the affected structures (otoliths and scales).
Wow, should have realized that of course there could be marks in their feathers that could indicate illness....
So what else can you tell with their feathers? How do they look like? Somewhat new to chickens and I got all gamefowl (Hatch, Kelso, Brown Red, Radio, Españolas), still trying to figure out if I can have more than one rooster living in th same space roaming free... Any info or suggestions on the matter? I have one rooster (the Radio) and basically about 40 hens now; he had a son with a Brown Red and the guy is just incredibly beautiful to us, so I was wondering if we could keep him and not have them fight with each other if there are enough hens for the both of them, he's getting bigger now and we still haven't had any problem yet. But our main Rooster "Champion" did have problems with a previous son of his and he would chase him around (there were at that time less hens).

Attachments

• _20211020_075852.JPG
    _20211020_075852.JPG
    540.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20210822-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20210822-WA0004.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 7
Wow, should have realized that of course there could be marks in their feathers that could indicate illness....
So what else can you tell with their feathers? How do they look like? Somewhat new to chickens and I got all gamefowl (Hatch, Kelso, Brown Red, Radio, Españolas), still trying to figure out if I can have more than one rooster living in th same space roaming free... Any info or suggestions on the matter? I have one rooster (the Radio) and basically about 40 hens now; he had a son with a Brown Red and the guy is just incredibly beautiful to us, so I was wondering if we could keep him and not have them fight with each other if there are enough hens for the both of them, he's getting bigger now and we still haven't had any problem yet. But our main Rooster "Champion" did have problems with a previous son of his and he would chase him around (there were at that time less hens).
Gamefowl males usually have to be penned separately to keep them from fighting as they get older. Or at least that's what I have to do with mine.

I would add chicken wire to three sides to a height of 16" from bottom to keep heads from popping off at night. Pen looks real solid and well done.
I'm planning on putting tin on one of the 3ft sides closest to the roost and 2ft down both 5ft sides around the roost and then hardware cloth the rest eventually

Looks good Billy.

Is that from the cattle panels? Just 1 to make the whole thing or you need 2?
Yea, the goat/sheep panel. 48"high x 16'long. Just 1panel, so its 3x5x4. I just made a "break" with some scrap stuff around the yard to get the corners somewhat good when I bent it. It's no bigger then a dome pen but it will give more room to come off roost

Back
Top Bottom