American Gamefowl

Gamefowl males usually have to be penned separately to keep them from fighting as they get older. Or at least that's what I have to do with mine.
A few questions, could you show me your set up for the roosters? How do you keep them healthy when locked up? I mean over here they keep them in relatively large cages (which I am not particularly fond of), and I just wonder if the feed is really enough to keep them healthy; mine roam free in our property for now (when the younger roosters start to sing we've been selling them, but there have been some I would have really liked to keep; like the the guy that's alone in the las pic I posted).

By the way would any of you happen to know what breed these are?
Yea, the goat/sheep panel. 48"high x 16'long. Just 1panel, so its 3x5x4. I just made a "break" with some scrap stuff around the yard to get the corners somewhat good when I bent it. It's no bigger then a dome pen but it will give more room to come off roost
Thanks for posting a pic. I'm guessing you keep it outside, that way they get sunlight and eat on grass? I guess the cage must be moved around to clean out deposits?
An animal that has been free for most of it's life won't be affected when you cage him?
How do you keep him fit?
Thanks for taking the time with my questions.

A few questions, could you show me your set up for the roosters? How do you keep them healthy when locked up? I mean over here they keep them in relatively large cages (which I am not particularly fond of), and I just wonder if the feed is really enough to keep them healthy; mine roam free in our property for now (when the younger roosters start to sing we've been selling them, but there have been some I would have really liked to keep; like the the guy that's alone in the las pic I posted).

Thanks for posting a pic. I'm guessing you keep it outside, that way they get sunlight and eat on grass? I guess the cage must be moved around to clean out deposits?
An animal that has been free for most of it's life won't be affected when you cage him?
How do you keep him fit?
I see you saw Billy's pens, those are a good way to house the roosters separately.

I use an all flock feed for the roosters, they get a little scratch once a day. Occasional fruit, greens or veggies as well, depends on the time of year and what I have.

How do you keep him fit?
There’s plenty of ways to keep stats seperate, tie cords, domes, pens like Billy built. Tie cords give more of a “free” aspect to it but less protection than a dome or round pen would.
Most aren’t affected by it, just keep them in a clean area and don’t overfeed and you shouldn’t have too many that aren’t fit. Most of my birds run free until they start fighting each other then they either get culled, go to friends, pens, or get sold to somebody. Also not to state the obvious but if you do decide to keep his sons you’ll have to lock all the cocks up or else you’ll have ruined feet and birds from pen fighting. I’d post some of my setup pictures but it’s dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home, I’d say most people with gamecocks keep them in cages that are 4x4 or 5x5 domes for pairs or single stags. Some people have bigger or smaller set ups, depends on preference really

Yea, the goat/sheep panel. 48"high x 16'long. Just 1panel, so its 3x5x4. I just made a "break" with some scrap stuff around the yard to get the corners somewhat good when I bent it. It's no bigger then a dome pen but it will give more room to come off roost
I just bought 48 panels of the 5' x 20' goat panels. A couple will be set aside to make pens like you have.

8CDD82F0-0B2F-4502-93A0-3A990334D76E.jpeg
156A4F3A-EDE2-4241-B64F-16EEF865B03C.jpeg
39EFCAAC-6B51-47D7-B21A-EF094B8C32E5.jpeg
A331FCFE-8F14-4E59-9859-7C5922E718B5.jpeg
2573461D-3F0B-4A8D-9A9B-9458FF33CF9F.jpeg
247C35C2-EF7D-4268-B51E-26E04A0C9DEB.jpeg

Anyone made a pen like this before? Roof was the cage base and top poles used to be the part that held the plastic bin in the cage. A little wobbly but haven't tightened down bolts cause I need to disassemble it to take it home. Planning on wrapping in wire and covering the bottom couple feet with wood. Gonna make a door with one of the attached pieces of sheet metal on the side. Also possibly welding something somewhere for extra support on the top half...any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20211122_105929.jpg
    20211122_105929.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 6
Anyone made a pen like this before? Roof was the cage base and top poles used to be the part that held the plastic bin in the cage. A little wobbly but haven't tightened down bolts cause I need to disassemble it to take it home. Planning on wrapping in wire and covering the bottom couple feet with wood. Gonna make a door with one of the attached pieces of sheet metal on the side. Also possibly welding something somewhere for extra support on the top half...any advice would be appreciated.
Google images of IBC cage chicken coop/housing and you'll get some hits.
Looks like a decent foundation for what you're planning on doing.

Back
Top Bottom