American Reza (Pakistani) Asil

This is what people do ot understand, India was under Muslim Rule back in the day. No one even remembers when that changed. Any Those reynolds had other pakistani added to it and they eventually were know as hydrabad asil. Most of the east coast are that way. The true indian are more shamo like, mayloid or upright and larger, through inbreeding they lose some size but when outcrosswed to a true indian, size comes back with colour patterns from 300 to 400 hundred years ago.
My Reynolds came from Virginia breeders that got their asils directly from Manuel Reynolds. There is no Hyderabad in them. I had some asils that were 50% Saab hammer indian and i had a Saab Chaudhry north indian hen. I also had 50% Saab viper hen. All these bloodlines were bred into my Crusher Brazilians. I still keep my Reynolds asils pure and i have a pure line of Brazilian

There is a lot of division among breeders, sometimes folks are down right hostile. History from books and articles is a good place to start but they are hard to come by, and also at times contradictory. Combine this with folks who think they know exactly what was happening 50, 75, or 100 years ago, and let the camps reveal themselves.

I am fairly certain that if an Indian, or Pakistani Asil breeder were to check out what some western Asil breeders were discussing, they’d have a good few laughs and shed some insight. One thing I’ve seen from online, is the amount of variation they have among their fowl. White legs are common, and I’ve seen green legs. Whereas if you had them here, it would be very rare. Some fowl are so fleshy and ugly I would not want them on my yard, but this is how it goes. Regionally, there will be types, almost characteristic for that locale, and based on selection with one very difficult test as a tool, combat. There are many styles, tests, and rules all over the world, and it’s why there exists so much variation even across/among/within the Asil strains.
Its hard to even find pure pakistani stock nowadays. Its all bred on performance. Indian is a little easier, there is more of a sentimental pride there with breeder and stock. Amroha, there are a few breeders left, as well as Kulangi.

My Reynolds came from Virginia breeders that got their asils directly from Manuel Reynolds. There is no Hyderabad in them. I had some asils that were 50% Saab hammer indian and i had a Saab Chaudhry north indian hen. I also had 50% Saab viper hen. All these bloodlines were bred into my Crusher Brazilians. I still keep my Reynolds asils pure and i have a pure line of Brazilian
Thats great to hear. I am not saying that Reynolds added, i am saying those that acquired from him etc. with out proper breeding knowledge added. It later became known as Hydrabad. i had seen some. There are few left, but not called reynolds is what i am saying. They were not pure Reynolds is what i am saying. Yours are, and that is my point. Breeding was done for me and my family many generations ago. We just had to follow the practice. I have Reynolds, its more along the 4x4 line. The blood has Become too tight. I dare not add to it. I have Baumgardner Blueface the same, super inbred. Not as hard to find as true Reynolds.
I was asking about the Saab, because i have 2 inbred hens left. The lines are getting old. Not sure many are kept true or even have.
But i am truly impressed that you have created the Brazilian bone crusher line. Marvelous!
Someone did something with a specific recipe. My hats are always off to people of your caliber. Our one Pakistani line has 3/4 Lasani. Focus mainly on the neck.
Thank you for replying. It is good to converse with someone experienced. I am sure we would have some great discussions.

Its hard to even find pure pakistani stock nowadays. Its all bred on performance. Indian is a little easier, there is more of a sentimental pride there with breeder and stock. Amroha, there are a few breeders left, as well as Kulangi.
If I am not mistaken, there is a Pakistani - American breeder in Virginia, his fowl seem to be of Pakistan directly as he is originally from there and travels back. His fowl are distinctive, understandably so.

American Asils have a 137 year history of importations, travel up and down the Atlantic Seaboard, then out west to California and back East, becoming established in Middle America, all the while what survived arduous tests and trials was obviously perpetuated and blended. Of course breeders were (and still are) concerned with form, function and performance, otherwise they are not gamefowl. The original asils imported to the US were the small Reza type for a reason.

Some breeders prefer them taller and larger around 7-8lbs, some prefer them closer to 4 lbs. This type of variation always existed, based on one’s selection, style, not to mention environment.

If you read work by Mr. H. Atkinson, he describes the best in his opinion but also in the opinion of the Indian breeders he met while living in India. They were the smaller asils, because of style (and maybe social circles/status). Mr. Atkinson is who facilitated the early importations to American breeders like Dr. H. P. Clarke in 1887, Mr. McCoy, Mr. Graves, Mr. E. A. Wheeler (1910-1930s). According to Mr. C. A. Finsterbush, they were ‘Rajah Murgh’, mostly from in and around Lucknow. Greys, light and dark reds and black Asil were imported from Lahore and Rampur also. Mr. C. A. Finsterbusch writes about this history, and some of the various strains in their homeland, but what made an impression on the American roostermen and their fowl were the 4 to 5 pound Asil. No one should wonder too hard on where the pea comb trait among American Gamefowl derived.

Also, Mr. Manuel Reynolds was breeding ‘Atkinson Asil’ since 1947. Once he got the imported Desi Asil in the 1960s, they became the foundation. Having said this, he bred the Atkinson blood in twice before Mr. C. Hanson got them.

Despite what can be read by Dr. Everett on feathersite, Manuel Reynolds did not have Hyderabad Asil.

I’ve spoke with Mr. C. Hanson, he imported the Hyderabad Asil fowl (as we know them here), not Mr. Reynolds. This does not means that all ‘Reynolds Asil’ have the Hyderabad Asil blood in them, what it does mean however, is that all ‘Hyderabad Asil’ here in the US (if from the various American Asil families up to this point of the shared history) likely have the Desi Asil blood (along with Atkinson and likely ‘Kaptan’ blood) as a foundation.

Folks still maintain and breed correctly, the old Asil blood, but the climate, properties in the soil, feed, severe winters, various styles, all made them different than how they were the previous centuries and beyond in Punjab and Sindh.

Some of my Asil.

Attachments

• IMG_5796.jpeg
    IMG_5796.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5797.jpeg
    IMG_5797.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5790.jpeg
    IMG_5790.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
A late hatch stag, direct from Mr. C. Hanson. Not a ‘Hyderabad’.

Attachments

• IMG_5352.jpeg
    IMG_5352.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    648.3 KB · Views: 6
My grey Asil brood cock.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5