American Silkie with respiratory problems

If chickens get a virus, and there are several possible ones, such as infectious bronchitis, ILT, and others, it will last 4-6 weeks. Antibiotics do not shorten the length of time, and it will run its course. Sometimes an antibiotic might help if they get a secondary bacterial infection. I would try to limit extra foods other than the chicken feed, since it is well balanced and has all they need. If a treat is given, keep it small and less often.

Please post photos of your Silkie, her face, nostrils and her skin.

She's itchy, does she have lice or mites? What is in the Neopitroid Powder? Can you get photos of the product bottle and labeling, I'm not familiar with it.

Enroxil looks to be Enrofloxacin, but it didn't make a difference in her symptoms at all?
If not, then you may not be dealing with a bacterial infection. Can your vet do some testing to find out what medication may be most effective?

Any lesions or canker inside the beak?
I’m currently on a trip, but I’ll ask my mom to take photos for me. She looks normal, nothing out of ordinary, we did check for lice and mites and she did have them, but we got rid of them with neopitroid. Neopitroid is a biocidal powder, insecticide and it’s for lice, fleas, ants and ticks, our vets recommended it. But she was ill weeks before we used it, ash and dust didn’t help her, it worked for my other chickens, but not for her. We also used neopitroid on my Brahmas, naked neck rooster and other silkies and they are all perfectly fine.
Yes Enroxil is an oral antibiotic and it didn’t make any difference at all.
Unfortunately vets in Croatia aren’t really happy when you bring a chicken to them, they always find a quick way to end it, if you know what I mean and that isn’t an option. They see chickens as food and that’s it, they do not care if they are ill. We have some basic meds for poultry, but everything else has to be ordered either from Austria or Slovenia.
She doesn’t have any lesions or canker inside her beak, as I said everything looks normal, except it isn’t.
She coughs and sneezes about every 15-25 minutes and she has clear mucus that comes out of her nose when she sneezes, it’s not sticky, it has a bit of smell, but it’s simmilar to bad breath smell.

If chickens get a virus, and there are several possible ones, such as infectious bronchitis, ILT, and others, it will last 4-6 weeks. Antibiotics do not shorten the length of time, and it will run its course. Sometimes an antibiotic might help if they get a secondary bacterial infection. I would try to limit extra foods other than the chicken feed, since it is well balanced and has all they need. If a treat is given, keep it small and less often.
I’ll definitely still keep her inside the house, since it’s quite cold in Lika and there’s snow. I stopped giving her veggies and fruits last week, so now she is on chicken feed and water only. Her illness looks like a common cold, but it’s been like that for a month and a half now so we’re getting worried.

Back
Top Bottom