American Silkie with respiratory problems

KristinaM

Chirping
Oct 18, 2023
Hello, I’ve had a problem with one of my american silkies for a few months now. She’s constantly coughing and sneezing and her nose is always running. She’s about one year old, bit she’s extremly small. We have talked to our vet, he told us to give her Enroxil and it didn’t help her, we tried with different kinds of diets, vitamins, garlic in water, antiparasitics…She doesn’t have any other problems, she eats normally, her behaviour is normal, everything is good except for that coughing, sneezing…and she ocasionally gets itchy, but she also has a dust bath and neopitroid powder. We just don’t know what to do anymore and I was wondering if anyone had the same problem or if anyone knows what else to try because like I’ve said it was going on for one month and then she got a little bit better, but it started again and it has been going on for a while now again.

I hope you can get some answers and find some relief for your girl soon.

I had one get like that and didn't get over it for a week so I brought her in the house. I had FishMox Amoxicillin I gave her for a week and she got over it. None of the others were sick but her.

I know most don't believe in VetRX which is chicken Vicks is all, but I used that too. I rubbed some under each wing and a dab near her nares (nostrils), and gave her Poultry Cell water while she was in the house.

Hello, I’ve had a problem with one of my american silkies for a few months now. She’s constantly coughing and sneezing and her nose is always running. She’s about one year old, bit she’s extremly small. We have talked to our vet, he told us to give her Enroxil and it didn’t help her, we tried with different kinds of diets, vitamins, garlic in water, antiparasitics…She doesn’t have any other problems, she eats normally, her behaviour is normal, everything is good except for that coughing, sneezing…and she ocasionally gets itchy, but she also has a dust bath and neopitroid powder. We just don’t know what to do anymore and I was wondering if anyone had the same problem or if anyone knows what else to try because like I’ve said it was going on for one month and then she got a little bit better, but it started again and it has been going on for a while now again.
What country are you in? I just looked up that neopitroid powder and it's not permitted in Croatia and stated can be harmful to birds. This is hard to decipher but here's the link where I got it from. I've never heard of it in the States.

Do you have access to permethrin powder? Most folks here use that.

http://www.eco-hvar.com/en/poisons-be-aware/267-pesticides-and-their-adverse-effects

Is enroxil in the same as enrofloxacin or baytril?That can treat a number of bacterial infections, but she could have a chicken virus such as infectious bronchitis or others. Viruses would need to run their course over weeks to a month or so. What have been all of the symptoms you have seen? Are others sick? Make sure that she is eating and drinking.

Last edited:
for a few months now. She’s constantly coughing and sneezing and her nose is always running.

We have talked to our vet, he told us to give her Enroxil and it didn’t help her

She doesn’t have any other problems, she eats normally, her behaviour is normal, everything is good except for that coughing, sneezing…and she ocasionally gets itchy, but she also has a dust bath and neopitroid powder
Please post photos of your Silkie, her face, nostrils and her skin.

She's itchy, does she have lice or mites? What is in the Neopitroid Powder? Can you get photos of the product bottle and labeling, I'm not familiar with it.

Enroxil looks to be Enrofloxacin, but it didn't make a difference in her symptoms at all?
If not, then you may not be dealing with a bacterial infection. Can your vet do some testing to find out what medication may be most effective?

Any lesions or canker inside the beak?

What's her died? How old is she? Pictures would be helpful!

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @Debbie292d @azygous
She eats ground corn, poultry feed, tomatoes, spinach, basically we give them all kinds of fruits, vegetables and grain, they rarely get a little bit of bread. She’s about one year old, unfortunately I don’t have any pictures at the moment, I’m on a trip, but I will ask my mom to take some for me.

What country are you in? I just looked up that neopitroid powder and it's not permitted in Croatia and stated can be harmful to birds. This is hard to decipher but here's the link where I got it from. I've never heard of it in the States.

Do you have access to permethrin powder? Most folks here use that.

http://www.eco-hvar.com/en/poisons-be-aware/267-pesticides-and-their-adverse-effects
Neopitroid is a biocidal powder, it’s an insecticide and it is used to control lice, fleas, ticks etc. It’s one of the oldest methods, in fact two of my vets recommended it, they said it’s not harmful to birds if it’s not used too often and we use it maybe once a year, the rest of the year they have ash and dust baths and all of my chickens are constantly dusting themselves. That’s why we thought they had parasites, so we bought an antiparasitic, but it didn’t help. I have three silkies and they’re all sleeping in the house. I have 23 chickens and they’re all fine except for that one and they have all been together.

Is enroxil in the same as enrofloxacin or baytril?That can treat a number of bacterial infections, but she could have a chicken virus such as infectious bronchitis or others. Viruses would need to run their course over weeks to a month or so. What have been all of the symptoms you have seen? Are others sick? Make sure that she is eating and drinking.
Yes it is, it’s an oral antibiotic and she was on that for a week since out vet told us to not keep her on that for too long, but it didn’t help one bit, she kept on coughing and sneezing. Then we tried again and we kept on giving it for about two and a half weeks, but again nothing changed. Other than coughing and sneezing nothing, she’s laying eggs normally, she’s walking normally, everything else is completely fine, her behaviour is like she’s perfectly healthy, she eats, she drinks water, we give her fruits like bananas, vegetables…spinach, tomatoes, etc…corn, a little bit of wheat..poultry feed, garlic water which she likes. She was with other chickens for quite some time and they are all good, my other two silkies started coughing and sneezing but garlic in water helped them and in a week they were back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom