Chicken coughing up saliva

Hollymay

Chirping
Feb 10, 2020
Hi there! I’ve noticed one of my chickens, whenever she drinks water, she coughs a bit back up along with a fair bit of saliva and also has a bit of dribble down her chin most days. She’s also smells a little stinky. (Probably weird but) I normally like the smell of my chickens, they remind me of wet dog but she smells almost greasy lately? Hard to explain but thought I should mention just in case. Other than that she’s generally a healthy and happy girl! I just adore her so wanted to check what this could potentially be. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6660.jpeg
    IMG_6660.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6674.jpeg
    IMG_6674.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6491.jpeg
    IMG_6491.jpeg
    744.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6440.jpeg
    IMG_6440.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 1
I'd look inside her beak to make sure there's no lesions, canker or yellow/white pasty material.

Do check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight.
With you noticing a stinky smell, likely she's got sour crop. Treatment is with an anti-fungal or yeast medication. Miconazole, Clotrimazole, Nystatin, etc. are commonly used. This article will walk you through treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If you do see lesions/canker, let us know, treatment and medication is different.

Does she lay eggs? Any other issues?

Back
Top Bottom