Chicken sneezing, coughing... help

Mayazoid

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2023
Hello, For almost the last month since I got this hen, around 6 months old, she has been sneezing. Around a week in she started coughing. A lot. It comes in fits. There is runny mucus around her nose, it dries yellow. None on her feathers though. Her one eye gets foamy when she gets in these fits. She may have bloody poo, or maybe it's just dark brown. She still gets the zoomies and is active and eating. I have another one, around 6 weeks, seems healthy, maybe sneezing occasionally. Eating and drinking well. They eat bird seed as of now and have a coop covered in a tarp as well as a heating pad.

TIA

What is your general location? Do you have access to a feed store where you can buy some balanced chick starter? It sounds like you may be dealing with a chronic respiratory disease (CRD, MG.) It might also be a bronchitis virus. Those are infectious to other chickens. I would rinse the eye with saline, and apply some Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin to the eye twice daily, and keep the nostrils clean. Tylosin powder antibiotic in the water can help treat MG.

What is your general location? Do you have access to a feed store where you can buy some balanced chick starter? It sounds like you may be dealing with a chronic respiratory disease (CRD, MG.) It might also be a bronchitis virus. Those are infectious to other chickens. I would rinse the eye with saline, and apply some Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin to the eye twice daily, and keep the nostrils clean. Tylosin powder antibiotic in the water can help treat MG.
Southwestern ontario. No vets near me... tylosin is prescription only...

Infectious bronchitis is a virus, so not antibiotics will treat symptoms. MG can be treated with Tylosin, Denagard (tiamulin,) oxytetracycline, or Baytril.

Back
Top Bottom