• sprint

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rec

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
KDOGG
The hook up I've seen for bikejoring is by the steering head.
The dog pulls the bike or trike or quad in races. Just like skijoring or canicros.
I don't like the idea of bungees though. It seems to tire the dogs somehow.
The rear leg structure, yes I've seen that before. I've seen in the Chowchow but not to that extent. It apparently does happen in certain breeds but also apparently a breed fault.
I would think it would cause a stilted/stiff legged gait even more accentuated than the Chowchow.
Definitely something that would totally undesirable for a mushing dog. But I think it'd be totally acceptable if someone had a good hearted pet they loved.

Yeah, I've seen that one too, that's like the official bikejoring, right? Like with out front like mushing?

But people also connect them to the side of the bike now and most any dog can do it. I don't really get why you wouldn't just do real bikejoring but I guess if you have a smaller dog maybe you can't or maybe people are scared of the speed or something haha

But I think the idea is they can bike but not necessarily have to pull and it's safer than holding a leash and riding.

The 2 main attachments are the Springer and the Walky Dog but there are others.

https://www.amazon.com/Springer-Dog-Exerciser/dp/B0017NM4OE

http://www.springeramerica.com

https://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkydog-dog-bike-leash.html

https://www.amazon.com/Walky-Dog-Exerciser-strength-Paracord/dp/B003OYIAW4

And actually, i think i got mixed up, there is also a third popular one which I think I'd use instead but idk. They're all stupid expensive that I'd probably just train my next dog to do regular bikejoring but yeah. The other is Bike Tow Leash

http://www.biketowleash.com

https://www.thedogoutdoors.com/dog-...QfwBag6JTGl5JWn-jQecN-Lqiyc91UNxoCuYsQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Tow-Leash-Yellow/dp/B005CS6AX6

Anyway, probably didn't need all the links, but point is people alsp buy and use those instead of official joring and I think the harness is used for that a lot. Though I saw a picture of sled dogs in it once.

And yeah, he definitely wouldn't win shows or races but he's loveable and doesn't seem to be in too much pain :)

OH! And curious why you don't like bungees or why they seem to tire the dogs more?

I've actually tried it. It's got a constantly stretchy, bouncy feel. Like instead of pulling 200 lbs steady it's like it goes from 100 - 350lbd then back and forth again & again & again & over & over. Constantly changing as opposed to constant. It is actually tiring. Try it with a wagon and 200lbs and go for a walk for 1/2 mile. Then again without bungee. You'll see what I mean

I've actually tried it. It's got a constantly stretchy, bouncy feel. Like instead of pulling 200 lbs steady it's like it goes from 100 - 350lbd then back and forth again & again & again & over & over. Constantly changing as opposed to constant. It is actually tiring. Try it with a wagon and 200lbs and go for a walk for 1/2 mile. Then again without bungee. You'll see what I mean

That makes sense!

Curious why everyone uses it then? I thought it was so it doesn't snap back and hurt them or like so when they take off on skis or bike you don't get launched?

That makes sense!

Curious why everyone uses it then? I thought it was so it doesn't snap back and hurt them or like so when they take off on skis or bike you don't get launched?

Ya, I think what it is,"we humans are so egocentric that we project so very much.
It seems we think like,"Because it's easier on me it must be easier on them.
"My thought usta be,'heavy loads....necks...skinny harness...hitting trees....= :eek:"OUCH!!!!".'so I put shock cords, stretch tugs and necklines only to see a marked increase in fatigue and reluctance to be 'honest'.
I would think that it may be easier on the dogs in some extenuating circumstances but overall it's (imo) an (absolutely) unnecessary and more often than not impedeing if not downright unhealthy or in extreme situations actually dangerous for the dogs more especially in "mushing".
I have and occasionally still do use very small (1/8) bungee in necklines and tugs so they're less likely to sag and cause tangle.
I have used large and strong(1/2or3/4") bungee in tugs to 'encourage" lazy dogs to actually work. When I saw that they learned to be honest I'd switch out to regular tugs. That said some dogs just don't get there so they're sold as pets.
I've eliminated "shock cords" altogether in my mainline-sled.

So, history=wisdom.:fl;)

Ya, I think what it is,"we humans are so egocentric that we project so very much.
It seems we think like,"Because it's easier on me it must be easier on them.
"My thought usta be,'heavy loads....necks...skinny harness...hitting trees....= :eek:"OUCH!!!!".'so I put shock cords, stretch tugs and necklines only to see a marked increase in fatigue and reluctance to be 'honest'.
I would think that it may be easier on the dogs in some extenuating circumstances but overall it's (imo) an (absolutely) unnecessary and more often than not impedeing if not downright unhealthy or in extreme situations actually dangerous for the dogs more especially in "mushing".
I have and occasionally still do use very small (1/8) bungee in necklines and tugs so they're less likely to sag and cause tangle.
I have used large and strong(1/2or3/4") bungee in tugs to 'encourage" lazy dogs to actually work. When I saw that they learned to be honest I'd switch out to regular tugs. That said some dogs just don't get there so they're sold as pets.
I've eliminated "shock cords" altogether in my mainline-sled.

So, history=wisdom.:fl;)

That makes a lot of sense! So you don't even do the shock/bungee thing at the front of the sled connected to the regular lines?

Everyone seems to do that though sadly :(

But they all seem able to run it?

And curious what you mean by honesty? In the case of the dogs

That makes a lot of sense! So you don't even do the shock/bungee thing at the front of the sled connected to the regular lines?

Everyone seems to do that though sadly :(

But they all seem able to run it?

And curious what you mean by honesty? In the case of the dogs

:) Some people say 'true', some say 'honest' when referring to a dog that really does work as opposed to keeping their line just barely snug or worse yet 'prancing' with their tug actually hanging.

Rascal, my wheel dog, would trot along with his head down(ya:eek:actually not even looking where he's going) with his tug hanging slack. But after the sled hitting a few trees he leaned to keep his head up and the tug snug, then time it perfectly to bear down and pull the sled between the trees then kinda slack off and let the rest of the team "truly" work until the next bend preceded by 2 trees just far enough apart for the sled.(I made my trails like that because snowmobilers would frequently follow my trail for a bit then veer off this way and that. Plus they would steal firewood I had cut and stacked by the trail.)
So....Rascal became kinda honest/true. Very smart dog. He'd been a pet on a farm for 3 years before I got him.
If I'd had since a pup he'd'v made a good leader.

And, yes I have eliminated shock cord on my sleds.
Well no wait. I actually use a very, very strong one for the work sled. Just in case I run into a tree.
But on my Rec sleds and excursion sleds I no longer use a shock-cord.
In my experience the best place for a shock cord is directly between the halter and the mainline.
Some people put them on the halter. I copied that idea and found it just made the sleds wobble. You know like veering left to right and back again and repeating.
So ya, everything is solid now. I'm seriously considering...if I get a dog that ain't honest right off the hop I'll probly sell him/her as a pet.
I'm getting to old to deal with them now.

:) Some people say 'true', some say 'honest' when referring to a dog that really does work as opposed to keeping their line just barely snug or worse yet 'prancing' with their tug actually hanging.

Rascal, my wheel dog, would trot along with his head down(ya:eek:actually not even looking where he's going) with his tug hanging slack. But after the sled hitting a few trees he leaned to keep his head up and the tug snug, then time it perfectly to bear down and pull the sled between the trees then kinda slack off and let the rest of the team "truly" work until the next bend preceded by 2 trees just far enough apart for the sled.(I made my trails like that because snowmobilers would frequently follow my trail for a bit then veer off this way and that. Plus they would steal firewood I had cut and stacked by the trail.)
So....Rascal became kinda honest/true. Very smart dog. He'd been a pet on a farm for 3 years before I got him.
If I'd had since a pup he'd'v made a good leader.

And, yes I have eliminated shock cord on my sleds.
Well no wait. I actually use a very, very strong one for the work sled. Just in case I run into a tree.
But on my Rec sleds and excursion sleds I no longer use a shock-cord.
In my experience the best place for a shock cord is directly between the halter and the mainline.
Some people put them on the halter. I copied that idea and found it just made the sleds wobble. You know like veering left to right and back again and repeating.
So ya, everything is solid now. I'm seriously considering...if I get a dog that ain't honest right off the hop I'll probly sell him/her as a pet.
I'm getting to old to deal with them now.

Thanks for all the info. That makes a lot of sense! I hadnt realized dogs did that. I thought they all liked to run.

And that makes sense, plus if the dog doesnt truly want to do it then no sense forcing it

Hi BYC mushingbghread ppl.
I hope SantaVlause was good to everyone.
I also wish everyone a HappyNewYear
MUSH-ON
image.jpeg

Not mine.
....but too cute too resist posting

Back
Top Bottom