Americauna Hopefuls?

Velvet Hairpiece

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Louisville, KY
Okay, I couldn't resist getting my chicks from Orscheln's last night after a semi-local backyard breeder fell through on me (grr!), as I'd much rather buy from a breeder than buy puppy mill chicks, but I did anyway. So anyway, I got a couple of rhode island red, three barred rock, and the last two I am seriously hoping are Americaunas. The Americauna pullets were in the same bin as the bantam straight runs. The kid at the store told me that the bantams were the ones with the feathers on their feet, but he wasn't quite sure if the greyish ones were Americauna or not. They were significantly bigger than the feathered feet chicks, but that could just mean that they're older. So, here are the pictures, can anyone confirm if they are in fact Americauna? (Please, oh, please, oh, please say they are!)
81629_pic_0033.jpg

81629_pic_0036.jpg

I don't know why this picture is loading upside down, but this face is too nomilicious to not post.
smile.png
But this is one of two in question.
81629_pic_0038.jpg

Hard to tell by the picture but I would say they are EE's (easter eggers) some hatcheries call them Americauna but it isn't a true Ameraucana.

Chris

They appear to be EasterEggers.

There is no such thing as an Americauana. That is what the feedstores/hatcheries misrepresent their birds as - or as the real thing. You'll never get a Purebred Ameraucana/Araucana from a feestore/hatchery.
smile.png

Yeah, I've seen it spelled several different ways, so I was probably wrong.

They had a separate bin for Easter Eggers, but they were too big so we didn't get them. The main concern was that they were bantams, and therefore possibly roosters. So regardless of their pedigree, I feel better that they're most likely hens, and normal sized.

Back
Top Bottom