Americaunas?

morelcabin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario Canada
Got these two chicks on a whim the other day when I went to pick up an assortment of other chicks. Was told they are Americaunas. I have no idea? Does anyone else here have an idea? They do have slate legs, and white skin. They both have little tufts starting on the tops of thier heads. No idea:)
Thanks

418_028.jpg

418_008.jpg

418_034.jpg

418_036.jpg

Oh, and would any of you know the sex of these little ones too?

thanks for the help!

Quote:
Kind of hard to tell completely but looks like you could have two splash amaeraucanas. Did you get them from a feed store or hatchery?

Where did you get them?

IF you got them from a feedstore, Tractor Supply, etc. then they're most likely NOT Ameraucanas but Easter Eggers instead, which are commonly mislabeled and referred to as Americauna. EEs are lovely birds too, they still have the potential to lay blue or green eggs, but there is also a chance that they will lay brown or even white colored eggs, due to their mixed parentage.

They don't look like Ameraucanas to me, you can visit www.ameraucana.org to learn more about the breed.

Last edited:
I got them from a woman who is crazy about incubating and incubates anything she can buy for farmers all over:) She says they are Ameracaunas...and I can never spell it sorry:)

Quote:
Well, then they might be! Ask her who or where she got her eggs from.

The odds of them being true Ameraucanas are much more likely if they're hatched from eggs supplied by a breeder.

ETA: Does one of the chicks have a small crest? Specifically the chick shown in the second to last picture?

Last edited:
They both have little tufts starting on the tops of thier heads

Did you guys miss that part?
wink.png

Then, there is no way on earth they are Ameraucanas. Tops of their heads? Ameraucanas have ear muffs and beards. Those are mixed breed chicks, maybe with Polish, Silkie or Sultan in them.​

Quote:
Did you guys miss that part?
wink.png

Then, there is no way on earth they are Ameraucanas. Tops of their heads? Ameraucanas have ear muffs and beards.

I missed this in the original post, but I saw it in the pictures.

They might be Ameraucana X Polish mixes. I know there's a couple members on here who have bred birds like that.

OR, since you're in Canada... maybe someone there imported the UK standard Ameraucana hatching eggs, which those birds DO have a crest.

Quote:
They should, I don't believe there is any spelling difference. But the OP did say they had trouble spelling Ameraucana, so it could have just been a typo on their part. I'm very interested now to know if these are in fact UK Ameraucana.

morelcabin, can you try and get more info from the person you got these chicks from as to where they got the hatching eggs?

Back
Top Bottom