Amerucana x Blue Andalusian Cross

CrazyDuckDude816

Chirping
Jun 24, 2019
Hey! I have some Amerucana hens and a roo, and Blue andalusion hens with a roo. I want to cross the two breeds to get a blue chicken that lays a blue egg. Would It be wise to use the Amerucana roo and an Adalusian hen, Or the Andalusian roo and the Amerucana hen. Im not sure what I can do to make it blue though. My Amerucana roo is White with black speckles, and The Blue Andalusian is the regualar blue coloring. My Amerucana Hens are brownish and red, and my Blue Andalusian hen is a light blue. What would I do to make a blue chicken with blue eggs???

Start there and keep breeding! You should get mostly, if not all, blue egg layers, because blue is semi-dominant over white (actually way more complicated, but it doesn't matter)

From there, choose your blue, or bluest (you'll likely get some blue-patterned), birds and breed back to a solid blue color, possibly again using your Andalusians.

Choosing roosters who have hatched from the bluest eggs are important.

Start there and keep breeding! You should get mostly, if not all, blue egg layers, because blue is semi-dominant over white (actually way more complicated, but it doesn't matter)

From there, choose your blue, or bluest (you'll likely get some blue-patterned), birds and breed back to a solid blue color, possibly again using your Andalusians.

Choosing roosters who have hatched from the bluest eggs are important.
So would I use my Amerucana rooster to breed with the Adalusian, or the other way around?

For me, I'd do;
Year 1: A roo over B hens an vice versa.
Year 2: Cross my best crossbreds.
Year 3: Take my second generation and choose my best blue/Blue patterned rooster from the bluest eggs, to cross over Andulusians.
Year 4: Take the year 3 chickens and breed those to my best/bluest year 2 birds.

From there on, just select for the best blues always choosing roosters from the bluest eggs.

For me, I'd do;
Year 1: A roo over B hens an vice versa.
Year 2: Cross my best crossbreds.
Year 3: Take my second generation and choose my best blue/Blue patterned rooster from the bluest eggs, to cross over Andulusians.
Year 4: Take the year 3 chickens and breed those to my best/bluest year 2 birds.

From there on, just select for the best blues always choosing roosters from the bluest eggs.
Thank you so much! I have a mixed flock so this is very intereting to me!

Offshoot question on this old thread. I started with 6 Blue Andalusian hens (white egg layers) which have slowly whittled down to 2 due to illness and/or predators. I decided to stick 3 eggs in the incubator. The problem is that I am not sure which rooster may have fertilized the eggs....but all are blue gene carriers. My roos are - (2) Ameraucanas, (1) Cream Legbar, (1) Silverudd Blue. I think it is most likely that either the Ameraucanas or the CL are the baby daddy.

So here's my question....how likely am I to get white eggs in the offspring? That would be my preference since I have quite a few blue egg layers right now.

Back
Top Bottom