Amerucanas

Papi chulo

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
At what age do amerucanas to start Laying? Mine are now 20 weeks old. I’ve read anywhere from 18-22 weeks.
This is my first year to chickening. I have golden comets and isa brown that started between 16 & 17 weeks. I also had two amber links, one now due to fox, shes only 12 weeks, so I’m sure 4-6 weeks?
I appreciate any responses. Also up in da nort, we are getting dark at 7. I set a 4w LED, 40w equiv, for a hour before sun up and two hours after, is that the right combo to slightly counter in the winter slow down?

thanks!!!

This summer, I had an EE lay at 20 weeks and all the others started laying around 22 weeks.
Year pullets will still lay throughout the winter even if you don't add the extra light. I don't provide extra light to counter the winter slow down, I let the ladies take a long deserved break.

In regards to the lighting I have read that you want to add the light in the morning and let the chickens go to sleep with natural sunset as the abrupt change when the supplemental light shuts off causes problems with roosting behaviors. Figure out when you need the light to come on in the morning so you get about 14 hours of light and that should be all you need.

This summer, I had an EE lay at 20 weeks and all the others started laying around 22 weeks.
Year pullets will still lay throughout the winter even if you don't add the extra light. I don't provide extra light to counter the winter slow down, I let the ladies take a long deserved break.
Thanks! I didn't really care when they did, just heard such a huge range, that I wasn't sure.

Thanks! I didn't really care when they did, just heard such a huge range, that I wasn't sure.
But it is so tough to wait!
Do you have a rooster? About 2 weeks before the pullets will start laying they pullets will start squatting for the rooster to mount them. If you don't have a rooster, the pullets may start squatting instead of running away when you reach out toward their backs. The pullets will also be investigating the nesting boxes more, or sitting in them but not egg comes, or just curious as to what is in the nesting boxes.

But it is so tough to wait!
Do you have a rooster? About 2 weeks before the pullets will start laying they pullets will start squatting for the rooster to mount them. If you don't have a rooster, the pullets may start squatting instead of running away when you reach out toward their backs. The pullets will also be investigating the nesting boxes more, or sitting in them but not egg comes, or just curious as to what is in the nesting boxes.
I had a rooster....then one afternoon they strayed in the woods beyond my little patch of sorghum. I had a americana rooster and a isa come up missing. There were 4 red fox too, but one came up missing......
They are sitting in the nesting boxes, 12x14x16 out croppings from my actual coup. Insulated too, bottom and sides with r-7. Might add a batting of r-12. Shredded papper from work and some poplar kerf.

I had a rooster....then one afternoon they strayed in the woods beyond my little patch of sorghum. I had a americana rooster and a isa come up missing. There were 4 red fox too, but one came up missing......
They are sitting in the nesting boxes, 12x14x16 out croppings from my actual coup. Insulated too, bottom and sides with r-7. Might add a batting of r-12. Shredded papper from work and some poplar kerf.
OOOOOO! The first egg could be within a week or two away! So Exciting!!
Sorry, I'm probably not the best person to help with being patient for that first egg. It is so exciting and You will be the proud chicken telling everyone you have your first egg, you will even find yourself sending a picture of your first egg to family members!

OOOOOO! The first egg could be within a week or two away! So Exciting!!
Sorry, I'm probably not the best person to help with being patient for that first egg. It is so exciting and You will be the proud chicken telling everyone you have your first egg, you will even find yourself sending a picture of your first egg to family members!
We've had eggs already, and yes the girls were jacked about the first egg, I might have sent pictures to grandparents for them.

Back
Top Bottom