Ammonia issues in Coop

brittcantfindherpassword

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2020
Hey everybody, I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I have about 45 chickens located in Vermont. They took over the whole barn basically (a hotel room size main room plus a slightly smaller connected room that I use for nesting boxes mainly). Pretty well ventilated I think (lots of small cracks and holes which should let air in). They also have a 400 square foot outdoor run as well. I also try to let them free range at least 4 hours a day on average.

I currently use a product called "HealthiStraw" which is made in Canada. It's basically chopped straw that they de-dust. I'm trying to use the deep litter method.

Now, my current issue is this:

A month or 2 ago, I seemed to notice the slight ammonia smell which I think was coming from a highly congested roost area. So I began to dump more and more of that zeolite stuff in that area and mix it up with the straw. I'm getting pretty frustrated though because it doesn't seem to be working and the ammonia definitely is still lingering, more than slightly. I'm stumped because zeolite is proven to neutralize ammonia AND I can't find anything wet in that area.

I might just have to do the annual spring cleanout right away and start fresh. However, I don't quite know what I did wrong. I just don't want that to happen again and I know it technically shouldn't. Just very frustrating.

I know I could use at least some sand, but it's just so heavy and would make it hard to do a complete cleanout. Plus, the coop floorboards are elevated so the sand could just drain out basically. I dunno, maybe someone could convince me lol.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

What are you feeding? Crude protein% of the feed? Anything else high in protein you are feeding?
How old are the birds? How many? Square footage of housing?
Ammonia in the bedding is mostly a result of excess protein in the feces, that which was not utilized by the body.

Back
Top Bottom