amount to feed chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coralanna, Feb 7, 2011.

1. coralanna

coralanna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    My coup is all fixed up ready for Aprils and the new arrivals. I`m recieving 30 ready to lay rsl. Now here is the question. Is it wize to just keep the feeders full and let them eat what they want or so much feed per bird per day. Thanks for the info

Alan

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    We free feed, always keep feed in the feeder and have grit and oyster shell in separate dishes as free choice. They don't look or feel fat at all.

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I have food available 24/7 as well as a bowl of oyster shell and a box of sand (for grit). Make sure you use layer feed when they start laying. With that many birds coming, you may want to consider having 2 or 3 feeders spread out so that all 30 arent trying to feed at the same feeder. It will also allow those lowest on the pecking order to feed away from the higher ranked hens and bullies.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I agree with the other two posters. I have food out at all times and just let them eat when they are hungry. I have 8 in the coop right now and I have three feeders so that no one goes hungry. I do have a small container of oyster shell out as well.

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    24/7. The girls eat what they need.

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Always have food out for them and water. Good luck

7. coralanna

coralanna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    thank you for the great reply`s. looks like it`s fill it up and lots of fresh water.

Alan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by